Why become a member? ×

Went to a Jazz Jam last night

JamesBass

So I've finally gotten round to going to my local Jazz Jam after weeks of planning to go but failing to get there. And I've come away a better player already. Until last night I had never played with a sax player nor had I player Jazz live, and I learnt so much during the 2-3 songs I played. It's also allowed me to network and possibly get some work out of it! So for me this is my regular jam night from now on!

If anyone has an interest in jazz but hasn't diped their toes in to the water, I urge you to do it! The guys I jammed with were all seasoned pros and all really top blokes to go with it!

I'm one happy determined little bass player today!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1424855456' post='2701107']
How do Jazz jams work? I've never been to one... I always hoped they would be the kind of thing where someone told you what key you were going to jam in and off you went? I'd like that :) I'd be less interested if you were expected to know a load of standards I would never have heard of...
[/quote]

Typically Rob if you're just turning up as a guest, you'd do a couple of numbers of your choice. Some jams want to know what tunes before, others just want to know you're coming.
They vary hugely - some can be a closed shop, or the standard pretty intimidating, others very welcoming.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1424857974' post='2701139']
Typically Rob if you're just turning up as a guest, you'd do a couple of numbers of your choice. Some jams want to know what tunes before, others just want to know you're coming.
They vary hugely - some can be a closed shop, or the standard pretty intimidating, others very welcoming.
[/quote]

I like the idea of it and although I like to visulise myself turning up and jumping straight in, in reality I'd be absolutely terrified and never even get to the point of introducing myself!

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1424858204' post='2701145']
I like the idea of it and although I like to visulise myself turning up and jumping straight in, in reality I'd be absolutely terrified and never even get to the point of introducing myself!
[/quote]

I agree. Blues or rock jams....OK....but jazz is a different thing altogether. Having said that, there is no doubt that jumping in the deep end in this way, is a great way to learn.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1424857652' post='2701135']
That's great James. There's one near me I'm heading down to next month.
Where was this one, and what tunes did you do?
[/quote]
Did Summertime and Fly Me To The Moon as well as a VERY quick rearrangement of some PPP tune in Aminor which was great fun!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1424855456' post='2701107']
How do Jazz jams work? I've never been to one... I always hoped they would be the kind of thing where someone told you what key you were going to jam in and off you went? I'd like that :) I'd be less interested if you were expected to know a load of standards I would never have heard of...
[/quote]
As has been said it vary's but last nights one was a turn up and the band leader would come over and greet you and ask if you wanna get involved and then when the house band finished he got everyone who wanted to get involved up to play. It was very much a here's a lead sheet no jam that with these guys! I fluffed summertime badly as I tried too hard to impress so decided to chill and groove and improv when I felt the need too! It's a daunting experience but don't over complicate things, everyone there last night was nothing but complimemtary and understanding and it worked really well! The Jam itself is down in Portsmouth, in The Wine Vaults, it's a brilliant night! Well worth going to if you're fairly local!

Anyone arranging a Jazz jam will be aware of the wide range of skills available in a room full of fledgling Jazz musicians and will manage the event with everyone's needs in mind. If the playing standard is low, the tunes will be mostly diatonic, two, three of four chords and well known material like blues changes, Canteloupe Island, Watermelon Man, Summertime etc. As the standard improves, the tunes will get harder and harder but still with the ability of those present in mind. At the end of the day, no-one has any investment in managing a train crash so calling 'GIant Steps' for a room full of beginners would be stupid.

My advice? Learn the changes to a twelve bar blues in F and Bb and learn how to read a simple chord chart. A good starting point would be Jamey Aebersold's play-a-long series (I think a lot of them are on Spotify now, although the accompanying books won't be). And, if in doubt, talk to whoever is leading the session. They are generally approachable people and will answer all of your questions about 'protocols' and do all that they can to get you up there and playing.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1424881301' post='2701530']...Jamey Aebersold's play-a-long series...[/quote]

$7 for all this ..!

[url="http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAJAZZ&Product_Code=GBL1&Category_Code=BASBOO#.VO34fXxM49U"]Bass Lines from 25 All-time Standards ...[/url]

Remind me again; how much is a pint..? Or a coffee..? These are great value resources, and one may choose from an immensely wide selection. Recommended... :)

Edited by Dad3353