Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘Clangour’, from alittlebitrobot...

Dad3353

[size=4]Good evening, all...[/size]
[size=4]Here is my own, personal, view of the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge, in randomly chosen order. I hope that at least some of you may be inspired to give the pieces a listen, and perhaps vote for your favourite. All of them can be heard here...[/size]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256313-february-composition-challenge-voting/"]BC February Composition Challenge voting...[/url]

[size=4]... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://soundcloud.com/alittlebitrobot/clangour"]‘Clangour’, from alittlebitrobot...[/url][/size]

[size=4]A gentle series of lightly-vamped chords are quickly and subtly echoed with a more rhythmic version, followed by an arpeggio of chiming harmonics and a brief melody line which serve as introduction to a semi-industrial drumkit and a nicely-present bass line. A couple of times 'round the houses' to get the basic pattern into our ears, and we're off, with a peppy bass going solo over the backing. We're treated to several variations on the melody until the keys join in, adding a layer of richness to the foundation already established. The bass retains its principal place in the groove, but the harmonics begin to encroach, vying for attention. The bass responds by climbing the stairs towards the 'dusty end', still popping away merrily before finally bringing the whole exhibition to a tidy close and resolution.[/size]
[size=4]An 'up-beat', bright take on the picture, oozing positive vibes and happiness. A certain virtuosity is ably demonstrated, and the piece hops along at a very decent lick. The percussion keeps the locomotive notion ever present as we voyage forward; there is a very gradual build-up of pressure and tension brought on by an efficient, un-cluttered arrangement of a coherent composition. Altogether a clean performance and an enjoyable listen.[/size]

[size=4]The previous review was...[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/256321-play-of-the-day-locus-motif-from-skol303/"]Play of the Day : ‘Locus Motif’, from Skol303...[/url][/size]

[size=4]The next will feature [url="http://soundcloud.com/mornats/trains"]‘Trains’, from Mornats...[/url][/size]

[size=4]Until then...[/size]

[size=4]Have a nice day[/size]

[size=4]Douglas[/size] Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1424615157' post='2698284']
The problem with listening to these is that I find it completely demoralising... :|
[/quote]

I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate on that, would you..? Any aspect in particular..? Is it any different to hearing stuff on the radio..? Just curious, that's all, and intrigued, as, for my part, they have rather the opposite, stimulating effect. To each his own, of course; we're all different. B)

Fantastic write-ups Dad! Totally looking forward to your next one of course :)

Alyctes: I find it really encouraging listening to everyone's pieces. Any one of us can have a go and it'll sound just as good as this lot. I can't remember if you've entered the comp before but give it bash, it's great fun. And if it turns out that you suck (which you won't) then only you have to hear it :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1424615865' post='2698300']
Fantastic write-ups Dad! Totally looking forward to your next one of course :)...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

Ta very much; that's encouraging..! It's easier in winter-time, what with the nights being longer an' all..! I have to give what's left of a brain a rest between entries, though; it's necessary to clear the ears before taking on the next one. Still, at a pace of one or two a day; I'll get 'em all done in time (I hope..! :unsure: )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424615664' post='2698295']
I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate on that, would you..? Any aspect in particular..? Is it any different to hearing stuff on the radio..? Just curious, that's all, and intrigued, as, for my part, they have rather the opposite, stimulating effect. To each his own, of course; we're all different. B)
[/quote]

It just emphasises how far I have to go, and how little I understand.

I think the difference between this and the radio is that the radio insulates; those guys out there aren't real people, in some way. The BC members are. A few years ago, when social media was a new thing, I was talking online to someone in San Francisco, and I had the same reaction then; SF isn't a real place to me, somehow.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424616598' post='2698312']

Ta very much; that's encouraging..! It's easier in winter-time, what with the nights being longer an' all..! I have to give what's left of a brain a rest between entries, though; it's necessary to clear the ears before taking on the next one. Still, at a pace of one or two a day; I'll get 'em all done in time (I hope..! :unsure: )
[/quote]

Completely agree with Mornats :)

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1424615157' post='2698284'] The problem with listening to these is that I find it completely demoralising... :| [/quote]

I thought, and still think, that but it's silly really. There's nothing to lose! Just have fun and get stuck in.
Nobody's going to insult you or sneer at you. It's really supportive here. I mean, look at Dad3353. He hasn't said a bad word about any of my submissions when anybody else could quite easily tear them apart.
That's not the style here.
I love the CompComp :) We're all sitting here, typing away with a bass on our laps but I want to know what happens when you stop typing and just start noodling about.
Some people idolise Jamerson, some Jaco, some Entwhistle and, who knows, maybe even Gene Simmons but it's not until you upload something that we can get an idea of just what a wide variety of bassery that we're all into.
If you're half-interested in submitting, go for it. I want to hear what you sound like.

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1424696558' post='2699198']
and thanks very much for the write-up, Dad3353.
So nice of you to take the time to do this, and for being kind to me :D
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

('[i]Sfunny, I don't get these same thanks from Lenny. Hmm[/i]... :unsure: )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424698639' post='2699235']
('[i]Sfunny, I don't get these same thanks from Lenny. Hmm[/i]... :unsure: )
[/quote]

I'm always grateful, and in some cases rather amazed, when anyone takes the time to listen or even comment on some of the racket that I churn out...
As these quotes from me show:
[quote name ="Leonard Smalls"]
Cheers Douglas! I didn't expect it to appeal to lovers of nice melodies, or even music!
But someone's voted for it, Gawd 'elp 'em![/quote]
[quote name = 'Leonard Smalls']
Cheers Douglas - nice review as always![/quote]

Still, I'm looking forward to the thorough drubbing this month's entry [s]deserves[/s] will probably get! And someone's voted for it already...

PS I voted for "Clangour"

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1424700115' post='2699266']
I'm always grateful, and in some cases rather amazed, when anyone takes the time to listen or even comment on some of the racket that I churn out...
As these quotes from me show:..
[/quote]

My apologies, friend, I've abused of your name in jest; yes, you have, indeed, given recognition to my humble critiques. Goodness know why, as I 'pan' you mercilessly each time, yet you return. My aim is not, however, to belittle nor besmirch you, but a so far unsuccessful attempt to steer you towards the warm light of day. It must be terrible in those dark places. I live in hope. :mellow:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1424700115' post='2699266']...
Still, I'm looking forward to the thorough drubbing this month's entry [s]deserves[/s] will probably get! And someone's voted for it already...
[/quote]

One should be careful what one wishes for. :rolleyes:

alyctes, i thought i'd post here just to encourage you to give it a try. No-one ever starts out writing music and it just sounds amazing.... even Mozarts 1st compositions weren't amazing (he was 8 when he wrote his 1st symphony, so he just started early). If you have a passion / desire / something within you that wants to write music, then just go for it. Once you get yourself some of the basics (read the Recording Forum and Skol's excellent pinned post about the Home Recording basics) you will find that you can surprise yourself with how easy it is to make music.

Advance warning: you will feel self conscious / self critical, and that some of what you write is no good, but for each bit of music that you feel about like that, you will write another bit that you feel great about.

But if you want to do it.... go for it!