Why become a member? ×

pickup help!

LukeFRC

in addition to my thread in build diaries i heed a bit of help.

on a 34inch scale leangth how far from the nut/bridge would you put a musicman style pup.

if any of you know, know where to go on the internet, or are sat at home with a stingray and ruler it would be great!

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='262222' date='Aug 14 2008, 10:27 AM']doesnt help me work out where to rout one hole to put it!!! :)[/quote]

Indeed it doesn't, but it would be well cool :huh: I have an OLP MM3 at home if you want me to measure that, but I wouldn't take it as gospel, compared to a proper EB MM.

My Zoot has a single MMHB (a Seymour Duncan one).
That's 331mm from the leading edge of the 12th fret to the front edge of the pick-up.

Is this a pattern I see emerging?

There seems to be a fairly strong harmonic output from the string above the front (neck) coil. I played the open string hard and tried hammering on harmonics at and around the pick-up. That was the strongest I found, about 340mm from the 12th fret...

A quick measurement of my Ibanez SRX700 places its two 8-pole Humbuckers equidistant from this 340mm point also. One is 25mm ahead, one 25mm behind.

Now we need a G&L owner and a Warwick $$ owner...

SJA posted this in my build diary thingy

[quote name='SJA' post='263130' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:52 PM']I've just found a clipping of an article on the stingray from Guitar mag, that has a measurement I used for reference when I modded my Dearmond with an MM pickup-

"the centre of the neck facing coil is 764.5mm from the fingerboard side of the nut".[/quote]

I only skim read it, but if you haven't gotten a decent answer yet, the pickup on my musicman (measuring from the closest edge of the pickup to the point i'm measuring to) is 320MM from the bottom of the 12th fret, 752mm from the bottom of the nut, and around 60mm from the bridge saddles at the closest.

On my G&L the same measurements in the same order for the bridge pickup are 348mm, 778mm and 40mm.

Edited by budget bassist

There is supposedly a 'sweet spot' for a single pup to be placed Luke, as I read about it years ago in a bass magazine and it can be identified by a mathematical equation relating to tones and overtones... unfortunately that is of no earthly use to you what-so-ever as I can't find the magazine article that it was in :)

I do remember it being to do with divisions of the scale length and you can find it by hitting harmonics along the string length but alas again no use to you if you haven't got a bridge fitted etc. I'm sure some clever bod on here should be able to identify this 'sweet spot'.

I'm kinda hoping that if i just copy where it is on a real stingray it will be in the right place.

panics

checks that p bass and stingray are same scale length
they are

phew
saves me some sums!

if anyone does know the maths behind it say. Im not bad with numbers and my flatmate is doing a maths Phd so between us we should be able to work out where it should go... there was a really cool little java applett i found a few days back that showed you the different responces but i cnat find it again now.

If it's the same scale and the frets are in relatively the same place (they are, i compared that neck to my SUB bass before i sold it to you) and the pickup has the same dimensions as a musicman one, then the measurements i gave you should be right, that is if you want it to go in the same place as a ray. A few mm out can't make a huge difference anyway can it? That said i like the positioning of the bridge pickup on my G&L. It's closer to the bridge than the one on my SUB so it sounds a bit more trebly, i quite like it. Up to you though.

Next question:

would i be correct in assuming i can substitute one of these:
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=2343&doy=21m8"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=...43&doy=21m8[/url]

for the switch in this pic
[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=musicman_3way"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...c=musicman_3way[/url]

its late so im probably asking something i could work out myself!

Edit: This switching then the ground to the sleave of jack socket the 'live' to vol then tone then tip of jack socket.....

Edited by LukeFRC

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='263889' date='Aug 17 2008, 11:52 AM']Is this a pattern I see emerging?

There seems to be a fairly strong harmonic output from the string above the front (neck) coil. I played the open string hard and tried hammering on harmonics at and around the pick-up. That was the strongest I found, about 340mm from the 12th fret...[/quote]

so to round this up this is what i think is happening. From the measurements given a Stingray (probably) has the rear coil over this harmonic and the other one froward a bit.
The other further back set up thet emerges uses the front coil on the harmonic and the other one towards the bridge. 2cm difference about!