Why become a member? ×

Convert 100w combo to 500w 'monitor' - thoughts?

krispn

Thinking of whacking a new speaker into my wee fender Fender Bassman 100 combo for the purpose of on stage monitoring. I'd disconnect the head unit and use as a wedge/monitor running off my amp.I've included a pic of the combo in question which has a tilt back design.

Would it be a simple case of remove speaker, replace with a more capable speaker ( to handle a 500w head for on stage monitoring duties) and hey presto job done? I am aware of some calculations being done to measure the cab size to get the best speaker etc.

I'm after useable output to hear myself on stage as the main sound is DI'd for my basswitch and at the same time reduce bulk/space on stage. I'd rather not buy a new cab but rather look at this option.

Any thoughts?

Is this a monitor for just you? How are the rest of the band hearing you? If you are going through the monitor line for the rest of the band and you just want 'more me' then you might be able to use the tilt back as it is. Pointed straight at your ears and turned up it should be plenty loud enough. Roll off the bass a little on the Fender to avoid excursion problems and you'll find the deepest frequencies are reaching you from the PA and the monitors. I use a Hartke kickback 10 in this way and it is my favourite set up.

It's explicit in my answer that the bass is already going through the monitors and this is for 'more me'. The OP said he is going through the PA and this wouldn't work without stage monitors feeding bass to the rest of the band already. If there isn't a monitor system up to this then he would need enough backline for the rest of the band to hear, obviously.

Assuming (as above...) adequate PA monitoring for the rest of the band, I'd say that 100w 'proximity' monitoring should be fine. Send an o/p from your main amp into the 'effects return' of the combo and you're good to go. Your main head, presumably, is going solely to DI, with no cab being driven. 100w into this 1x10 should be sufficient, if placed/angled judiciously.

Cheers for all the input.

The singer/guitarist claims to be a soundman but it's become very apparent over these last couple of gigs that he doesn't have a clue about sound - he can set up the desk but that's it!

We've had a chat about placement of gear on stage (so I'm not standing right in front of my amp and not really hearing anything, I'm gonna look at eq'ing options for on stage and going FOH (for him, our fiddle and moi) and sort something out that has a better overall balance as an on stage mix as well as out house mix. We've also agreed that he doesn't need all those feckin' guitar stands and that he can put stuff back into his car instead of leaving it on stage for the whole gig, wasting valuable room!

All your advice will be considered and used in the new stage set up!

Again thanks to all for the advice!

Edited by krispn