Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Bass Ukulele - String Changing

geoham

I purchased the above bass last week to use at acoustic shows. I'm loving it, it's a great little bass and am really looking forward to gigging with it.

I have one question - how on earth are the strings changed? They vanish through the bridge inside the body, but I can see no way to access the underside of the bridge.

Thanks,

Getting the new string in should be easy! Poke a piece of 'hook up wire' through from the bridge, keep threading it in and with luck you will reach it through the sound hole (may snag on the ribs) . Attach new string to the wire with masking tape, make sure there are no bits that will snag and pull through (slowly). Done this with an acoustic, but obviously the uke has less space to work with.

Or, do get a volunteer with small hands, or a specially trained squirrel works a treat.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1423498330' post='2685540']
You can also thread them through in reverse - feed them into the body at the bridge, and keep going until the end is wtthin reach at the sound hole. Tie a knot in the string and pull it back through again until the knot is under the bridge.

David
[/quote]

Well, that certainly beats hanging about outside an infants school trying to befriend a young stranger. :P

Tone well and truly lowered!

I think my wife has small hands...

Quite fancy some of the 'dreads' multi-coloured ones, though may wait to see how I get on with using this. May never see the light of day after the novelty wears off. Or I may upgrade to a real Kala.

(anyone tried both? Worth triple the price?)