Why become a member? ×

Dremel router bit

Fishman

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1423054450' post='2680020']
IF you're going to do it regularly then go for carbide/carbide tipped on. They last a lot longer.
[/quote]

You are limited with a Dremel, as they have a narrower chuck (I think that's the right word) than standard router bits require. The Dremel ones are very good though IME.

[quote name='Fishman' timestamp='1423095693' post='2680841']
Thanks chaps - i'll get the 654 bit and see how it goes - i'll post the results if it works out OK!
[/quote]

Don't be tempted to freehand the cut though, make yourself a template! :)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1423150793' post='2681474']

Don't be tempted to freehand the cut though, make yourself a template! :)
[/quote]

Freehand routing with a Dremel and the plunge router attachment is actually pretty easy. I have never used a template. Just take it easy, get yourself well set up, nice and steady, holing the Dremel with both hands, good lighting, protect te guitar surface with tape and it's OK.
My advice is to only go almost far enough with the Dremel right at the top edge and then finish off that final edge with hand tools, files, sandpaper blocks etc. It is easier to get a really pro edge that way. Undercut the edge with the Dremel and then finish the final edge with your hand tools.

Oh, and practice on something first !

Edited by hamfist

It's pretty easy to make a template though if you have some MDF or hard board, some straight offcuts and some strong double sided tape. The only drawback with a dremel is that the bit radiuses may be a little small to achieve the desired fillets around the pickup corners.

PS: I have a Ryobi router at home but also use a multitool by Proxxon. A bit more durable than Dremels since Dremel switched production to Mexico.

Got to say that I wouldn't use my Dremel for pickup routing as I have always found my router attachment flexes a bit when you try to cut larger objects. I have a standard Black and Decker router and always use a template, I wouldn't attempt to cut a pocket freehand even if it was under a scratchplate but that's just me!!! I make the templates myself from 6 or 8mm mdf and that usually takes longer to make than it does to cut the pickup pockets but this does give me a template I can use again to accurately cut that style of pickup in the future.

Cheers

Maybe I'm Super Special or something (unlikely), but I really don't find freehand Dremel pickup routs that difficult. I must have done over 20 by now, with no major cock-ups and no injuries. Certainly, I'm better at it now than I used to be and I get a better edge (mainly because I do the very edge with hand tools), but even my first attempts were OK. On TB if you mention Dremel routing they go almost berserk in saying how dangerous it is and how you could never do the job properly like that, but it's simply not true.
Get the proper Dremel router kit, mark out your cavity accurately, take out a lot of the bulk of the wood with a large wood drill bit using a normal leccy drill first (mark the dril bit so you dril an accurate depth each time), then take your time with the routing and it's very do-able.

Edited by hamfist