Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN. Celinder J Update 5
£2300

fingerz

Price £2,300 (Sale Only)

I'm putting up for sale my beautiful J Update 5. This bass has a few unique features, as listed below. It has been my principle 5 string bass, and as such has been very well looked after. I've played it LOTS, it has always been dependable and a joy to play. Probably the ultimate Ash/Maple active jazz bass tone there is, with simply one of the nicest necks I've ever come across on a 5 string.

Recently been on Chris Celinder's bench where it had the frets tidied up, bridge intonation screws updated (chunkier threads), and a full check over as routine maintenance. He remarked on how unusual the neck profile is on this one, one of the reasons I liked it so much.

Two unusual features are worth mentioning with this Update:
Neck profile is tighter at the nut than the normal 'P Bass'/'Chunky' feel of this model. This one is much more in keeping with a narrow 70's feeling jazz bass, sooo comfortable and fast to play.
Weight: At around 10 lbs 2 Oz, (I shall firm that up when I get some batteries back in my scales), this is one of the lightest Update 5's I've come across. I was touring with it, and could happily stand for 2 1/2 hours with it. Often they can be shoulder breaking heavy, so this one is a refreshing change, and I find the deign really comfortable.

SPECS

Body: Danish Ash
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Maple
Scale length: 35"
Pickups: Celinder/Armstrong Hum-cancelling
Circuit: Celinder CP-3a (I tracked down this circuit and had it re-fitted). Complete with Dip switches/Master gain. This model is Vol/Blend/Bass/Treble (tone). Really useful in this format.
Year: 1998 if I remember correctly.
Weight: Est around 10.2 lbs. Can confirm.

Condition:
As you can see, it's in great condition. As pictured, there is a mark on the upper horn (possibly from re-stringing, not during my ownership), and a slight rubbing to the lacquer on the rear of the body. I managed to get good light to show this, it's not very noticeable, I'm being thorough here. Otherwise great nik, a few little marks in the usual places from 16 years or so of use.
Set up very low and fast (the best action I've ever got on a bass is with a Celinder!), with DR Fat Beams 45-125.

I think that's everything. I will be very sad to see it go, but I am finding it hard to justify when I normally play a trusty old Jazz bass. It really is a sublime instrument.
If it doesn't sell quick-ish on here, it will be going into a shop as a commission sale, so if you are interested, please let me know. Better for us both!
Welcome to come and view it, we can arrange a time. Feel free to call me: 07719 154668.
Any questions please fire away.

[attachment=181655:IMG_0040.jpg][attachment=181654:IMG_0039.jpg][attachment=181657:IMG_0042.jpg][attachment=181656:IMG_0041.jpg][attachment=181658:IMG_0043.jpg][attachment=181659:IMG_0044.jpg][attachment=181660:IMG_0045.jpg][attachment=181661:IMG_0046.jpg][attachment=181662:IMG_0047.jpg][attachment=181664:IMG_0049.jpg][attachment=181663:IMG_0048.jpg][attachment=181665:IMG_0050.jpg]

Edited by fingerz

[quote name='johnbiffa' timestamp='1422624334' post='2674742']
Couldn't agree more having just acquired my 3rd Celinder !!!!!, can you have too many ?
[/quote]

Wow. THREE!! I bet they are all fantastic instruments. A 5 string Update would round off the collection nicely :) . This bass set a new level for a Super J 5, and I've played pretty much everything out there.. Preaching to the converted here aren't I ?!

I used to own this bass before I sold it to fingerz as I moved away from jazz basses. It was a pleasure to deal with him. I find Celinders to be the best at recreating the vibe of a good 70s jazz bass, but with a tight B string and impecable craftsmanship. This particular example is also not back breaking heavy as most northern ash basses tend to be. While you can nail the Marcus Miller tone easily, one can also get a rounder/warmer fingerstyle tone that what is usually associated with the ash/maple combination.