Why become a member? ×

ebs microamp owners...a few questions

ahpook

i'm now the proud owner of lee650's ebs microbass and i'd like to pick the brains of anyone who's used one of these...

firstly...the xlr output is hot...and i mean [i]hot[/i]...i'm having to run my mixing desk with the trim way way down just to get a clean signal...anyone else find this ?

secondly...the inputs are very sensitive...unless i turn my bass down the microbass is almost alway driven into slight overdrive by the bass...is this also anyone else's experience ?

any thoughts would be most welcome.

[quote name='ahpook' post='259199' date='Aug 10 2008, 11:58 AM']i'm now the proud owner of lee650's ebs microbass and i'd like to pick the brains of anyone who's used one of these...

firstly...the xlr output is hot...and i mean [i]hot[/i]...i'm having to run my mixing desk with the trim way way down just to get a clean signal...anyone else find this ?

secondly...the inputs are very sensitive...unless i turn my bass down the microbass is almost alway driven into slight overdrive by the bass...is this also anyone else's experience ?

any thoughts would be most welcome.[/quote]

Where do you have the boost & drive knobs set? These need to be used *very* sparingly...

[quote name='ahpook' post='259199' date='Aug 10 2008, 11:58 AM']i'm now the proud owner of lee650's ebs microbass and i'd like to pick the brains of anyone who's used one of these...

firstly...the xlr output is hot...and i mean [i]hot[/i]...i'm having to run my mixing desk with the trim way way down just to get a clean signal...anyone else find this ?[/quote]

yes, that was exactly my experience when I recorded with mine. The trim on the audio interface was way down

[quote name='ahpook' post='259199' date='Aug 10 2008, 11:58 AM']secondly...the inputs are very sensitive...unless i turn my bass down the microbass is almost alway driven into slight overdrive by the bass...is this also anyone else's experience ?

any thoughts would be most welcome.[/quote]

ditto - my bass has a pretty hot signal (if that really matters), and the signal does distort/overdrive with the "drive"/"boost" knobs, unless (like WoT says) you use them very sparingly. However, I've not had any distortion issues from using the "bass" knob, but I've generally kept that near to flat.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='259243' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:45 PM']However, I've not had any distortion issues from using the "bass" knob, but I've generally kept that near to flat.[/quote]

sorry - i meant the bass guitar, not the bass control of the ebs :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='259280' date='Aug 10 2008, 01:46 PM']sorry - i meant the bass guitar, not the bass control of the ebs :)[/quote]

ah, i see :huh: I think I may have had to turn down the bass (guitar) volume too, to help tame the MB output signal. But I've never had to turn down the bass volume when using the headphones (just the headphone volume), so I don't think that a hot input signal is causing the MB to clip internally.

Which input are you using? Have you read the manual? The DI feed is post EQ and Drive so if you dial in lots of EQ that will affect the DI. Mine is one of the later ones with the pad but I did not use it and never had a problem, but I guess there could be problems with really hot basses or they would not have added the pad.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='259245' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:46 PM']i was using the 10db pad on the audio interface too[/quote]

i guess i've got an older version without the 10db input pad then as I totally misunderstood WoT's earlier post

Still experimenting with the micro bass but could offer the following comments.

I have only been using channelA with the boost set very low. bass & treble to taste depending on the bass being used, (78 Precission, CIJ Jazz, MM stingray or Aria Lite 1 EUB), and the amp / cab, (hartke or EBS). I have been using the Tube sim & enh filter switches selected as on. The volume has been set at no more than 12 o'clock apart from when using the Aria.

It seems to me the art with this is to adjust the controls very slightly until the desired sound is reached. Some venues have required different settings even when using the same bass / amp set up.

I cannot say that i have encountered problems with the levels so far.

The bass the pedal has made the most significant difference to is undoubtably the Aria, but it has also made extra tone available on the precission & jazz. Less difference on the stingray where there was already a wide variety of tone.

I will keep experimenting - surely that's the fun of it all

• 4 weeks later...

just to add a happy ending to this story....jcater is right, the key to the microbass is tiny adjustments...they should fit verniers on these things.

i've used it in recording and it sounds great...and i used it for the first time at practise today (into the fx return of a GK head) and it sounded amazing - both the guitarist and the dummer commented on how defined the bass sounded.

so...after a lot of tweaking, i can say i'm finally a happy microbass user :)