Why become a member? ×

Can you DI out of a preamp/slave output?

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1421245085' post='2658871']
Every time I see a DI box I involuntarily shudder. Keep those things the hell away from me.
[/quote]

Something from your childhood, perhaps..? It can help to talk these things through. Show me on this doll... :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1421245085' post='2658871']
Every time I see a DI box I involuntarily shudder. Keep those things the hell away from me.
[/quote]

Why? I can't understand your fears. Maybe Dad is on to something... ;)

It's practicly the same thing as having a DI on the amp itself with the added plus that using it you won't get so much noise or loose signal from the preamp output if you need to run a long cable. I just don't know why Orange (and others) dont fit a DI on their amps.

My DI out of the amp is an attenuated signal so it goes through my preamp as well as my eq settings.

Why I don't like DI boxes is that every talentless hack soundguy up and down the country gets me to plug into a DI box so they can put my bass through their sh*tty PA that sounds nothing like the expensive bass amp that I just lugged to the show.

If I wanted to play through a PA, I wouldn't bother bringing an amp.

Listening to BBC Radio last night when the posh lady reporter started talking about the huge storms that had hit Wales.

"And now we're going to hear from Dai, who was trapped at home throughout the storm. I'm sure that she will have an interesting story."

Followed, of course, by a man's voice ...

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1421327509' post='2659870']
My DI out of the amp is an attenuated signal so it goes through my preamp as well as my eq settings.

Why I don't like DI boxes is that every talentless hack soundguy up and down the country gets me to plug into a DI box so they can put my bass through their sh*tty PA that sounds nothing like the expensive bass amp that I just lugged to the show.

If I wanted to play through a PA, I wouldn't bother bringing an amp.
[/quote]

Surely your 'sound' involves the cab(s), too..? Any feed to console which ignores that is going to affect what comes out of FOH, I'd have thought. Many venues take, or can take, a DI [i]and [/i]a mic on the cab for the bass. Couldn't that be considered..? That's my experience, both as a band member and as a sometimes sound engi. Best of both worlds (assuming, of course, at least a minimum of confidence in the competence of the engi..?). The FOH can then be mixed to give the best representation of the bass rig in all its splendour.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1421328617' post='2659890']
Maybe we're using DI to mean different things ITT...
[/quote]

I understand you're talking about being asked by the sound guy to plug your bass directly to the DI box so he gets a clean signal on the mixer.

What i was talking about is for you to get a DI box and plug the preamp output from your amp to it and then you'll be able to send balanced signal to a mixer with less noise. Doing this you'll still benefit from your amp's EQ and any fx going to the mixer.

You won't get any benefit from the speaker's colour but... who wants his tone coloured by a speaker?!! Just get a nice transparent cab and do all the tone shaping on bass and amp! :P
It's the best way to ensure that the sound you're feeding to the PA is the same you're hearing behind you.

I'll run for cover now... :ph34r:

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1421337900' post='2660085']

What i was talking about is for you to get a DI box and plug the preamp output from your amp to it and then you'll be able to send balanced signal to a mixer with less noise. Doing this you'll still benefit from your amp's EQ and any fx going to the mixer.

[/quote]

I SEE!

Haven't had much trouble with noise but I'll definitely keep that in mind :D