Why become a member? ×

Farting speaker cab - advice please

redstriper

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi fellow basschatters, I am looking for advice on behalf of a friend who has a Hartke 4 x 10 cab which has a[color=#141823] farting type sound at certain frequencies and a general lack of power or good clean tone[/color].[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Upon examining the drivers, he found one with what looks like a repair - see images below.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Is this likely to be the source of the problem?[/font][/size]

[attachment=180236:hartke1.jpg]

[attachment=180237:hartke2.jpg]

Quite likely.

I've repaired tears, albeit temporarily, using layers of tissue paper and copydex before now but I've never tried using a blob of silicone before.

How about taking that driver out of the cab, extending the wires and moving it round the back of the cab?
If the farting is just as bad then it's not the problem.
If it reduces then it is.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1420575053' post='2650867']
Thanks Ian - I'll suggest he tries that :)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

No problem. :)

Make sure he reconnects that driver before powering up and trying again though.
I don't know what amp he's got or how the cab is wired up so all sorts of nasty weirdness could happen if he doesn't...

As Ian said it seems to have silicon smeared on what may have been a tear .
With use the silicon wil come unstuck a little bit and let air through it. I know I've tried it.

These repairs are generally temporary. They will last longer if you do as Ian said and use tissue layers (not soft like kleenex) and copydex on both sides of the cone.

I'd hope it didn't leave the factory that way, but I can just about picture the scenario. 5pm Friday; assembly worker sticks a screwdriver through the cone, is fully aware they should get a new driver from the storeroom and fill in a form, but sod it, they want to get home and the glue gun is already warmed up...
I've worked with people with that sort of attitude, so I reckon it's not impossible!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1420587965' post='2651141']
I'd hope it didn't leave the factory that way, but I can just about picture the scenario. 5pm Friday; assembly worker sticks a screwdriver through the cone, is fully aware they should get a new driver from the storeroom and fill in a form, but sod it, they want to get home and the glue gun is already warmed up...
I've worked with people with that sort of attitude, so I reckon it's not impossible!
[/quote]

I can see your thinking there but the materials are all wrong. :)

You'd use a glue gun to perhaps provide extra support to coils or big hefty resistors on a crossover board.
This is clear silicone, the sort of thing that you'd use for waterproofing (think bath sealing or window fitting).

I can see a glue gun being to hand but I can't picture a silicone gun loaded with clear silicone being used for anything that Hartke make.

Hi guys, thanks for your advice.

I was the last owner of the cab and have been trying to help the current owner, who is a friend of mine, get to the bottom of what's up with it.

I wanted to make sure that this was not a possible factory fault as if it was there may have been a chance Hartke would have replaced it. I've heard great things about their customer support.

Looks like the 1st owner must have damaged the driver and bodged a repair (or lent it so someone who did) and the repair has failed.

Anyway, I've said to the current owner that I'll go halves on the cost of a new driver to get this properly sorted so it won't recur.

Hugh

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1420666596' post='2652045']
Hi guys, thanks for your advice.

I was the last owner of the cab and have been trying to help the current owner, who is a friend of mine, get to the bottom of what's up with it.

I wanted to make sure that this was not a possible factory fault as if it was there may have been a chance Hartke would have replaced it. I've heard great things about their customer support.

Looks like the 1st owner must have damaged the driver and bodged a repair (or lent it so someone who did) and the repair has failed.

Anyway, I've said to the current owner that I'll go halves on the cost of a new driver to get this properly sorted so it won't recur.
[/quote]

Hugh, you're an absolute gentleman. :)