Why become a member? ×

J&D Vintage jazz bass, Any other options?

sellisnba

Hi all
Just looking for a few opinions really.
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the above basses. I wasn't looking to spend a lot on a bass due to a new arrival and lack of playing time. I was just wondering if there were any other options worth looking at in this price range? I'm not a fan of thomann (due to previous experience) so harley benton are out of the picture. I only need it for at home practice and would ideally like a jazz bass.
Cheers

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Squier_Vintage_Modified_Jazz_Bass_70s_Candy_Apple_Red/FEN-030-6702-509?CAWELAID=720016190000000056&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_ZOlBRD64c7-gOzvrP0BEiQAAYBndyc5lNaJQdM-Nz76Wn4UsLnE45p6oUt5KxBA0NRy9_0aAiiX8P8HAQ

Nice colour too

Not sure about the other options, but I would just like to add how happy I am with my J&D J bass. Every time I play it I have to keep reminding myself how cheap it was... Sure, there are one or two minor niggles - but you'll get that on a bass that costs five times as much!

Go for it, I say! B)

There's a lot of love for the J&D jazz basses but I just wanted to say I have that exact same Squier VM jazz and it's superb. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. If you fancy a bass to modify then the J&D is cheaper and gives you more cash to try out pickups and the like.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1420142949' post='2646112']
If you fancy a bass to modify then the J&D is cheaper and gives you more cash to try out pickups and the like.
[/quote]

Ironically, the pickups are one of the better elements of the J&D! The tuners though... that's the first thing I would change :)

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1420144061' post='2646133']
Just for future reference, what tuners and bridge would be drop in replacements? I fancy fitting black hardware.
[/quote]

That will depend on the bass you buy. Even Fender tuners vary in size.