Why become a member? ×

Need a wedding band that doesn't play Mustang Sally

coasterbass

Don't get me wrong, I really do agree with you ThunderThumbs!

But I can still see why a Bride & Groom might think "well it's our day, we want our music", it's not how you and I would do it, but I can understand why it happens!

But yeah, first dance whether it played by the band or on an iPod should always be adhered to obviously. We've learned plenty of one-offs for first dances

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='260240' date='Aug 11 2008, 06:55 PM']Don't get me wrong, I really do agree with you!

But I can still see why a Bride & Groom might think "well it's our day, we want our music", it's not how you and I would do it, but I can understand why it happens!

Si[/quote]
That's OK then :)

I understand why it might be fun/a bit nostalgic/self indulgent for the B&G to pick maybe half a dozen songs or so, but an entire playlist? Unless 99% of the audience is of the same age range and musical tastes, I think it's just wrong.

We also did a wedding a few months back where the bride's sister emailed me to tell me what songs they wanted playing. I told her to let me know which ones they specifically [b]didn't[/b] want playing, and leave it to us. We've done it enough times. We know our business. I know it's their day (as it was mine when I got married), but I really don't see the point of paying a DJ and then telling him what to play. If so, just stick a CD on through the band/house PA.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

A lot of the time the people involved with the wedding try to micro manage every last detail, even down to the bands and DJ set list.
When the night comes and the entertainers ignore what the have spent week of sleepless nights planning and record collection rummaging, it upsets them thinking all the hard work been for no reason.

Situations like this are best addressed before hand, or when taking the booking if pos able.

We did a gig recently where the B & G had picked the whole play list. They didn't want any Beatles, Stones, Queen or Commitments (but they wanted Midnight hour) amongst others. While it was a good list (lots of up to date songs) it wasn't a wedding list.

After the first set people were comping up to us asking for all the stuff we were asked not to play. We told them to go ask the bride. The bride came over after a while and asked if we could play some Beatles, stones and "don't suppose you do mustang Sally?"

The mind boggles.

So yes, i agree with Thunderthumbs and the others that its not a good idea to let them choose the whole play list. Its our job to know what to play and give everyone a good time.
And most of our weddings we dont see the couple most of the night anyway.

As Si said, we too have learnt so many one off's for first dances that we putting together a whole set (or two) that we intend to play at a social club soon. just for a laugh.

Edited by dave_bass5

Most of the weddings we do are younger couples now anyway, so all the modern songs are relevant. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them hadn't even heard Mustang Sally before......my kinda people! :)

Oh, we don't do Mustang Sally, but we do play Brown Eyed Girl still, I have a little solo in the bass break and we Skank the last quarter of the tune for a sing-along.....so morally, it's ok lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='260655' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:22 AM']Most of the weddings we do are younger couples now anyway, so all the modern songs are relevant. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them hadn't even heard Mustang Sally before......my kinda people! :)

Oh, we don't do Mustang Sally, but we do play Brown Eyed Girl still, I have a little solo in the bass break and we Skank the last quarter of the tune for a sing-along.....so morally, it's ok lol

Si[/quote]

Ha, we skank BEG as well.
Hate the song but its a good floor filler no matter what age. Gets the girls dancing and then the drunks follow.

We don't do weddings, but if we did ..... they'd probably be crap, which why we don't do them.

Anyone who is basing their opinion of Mustang Sally on The Commitments, I would recommend listening to Buddy Guy's version on "Damn Right, I've Got The Blues".

One of the advantages of having a girl singer, I've discovered, is that people no longer ask for Status Quo songs. :)