Why become a member? ×

Anthony Jackson - which tracks in particular have inspired you?

miles'tone

He seems an interesting player with some strong opinions...

That aside, I always like this record with Steve Khan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_FBGKb5Q-k

First track especially when he 'introduces' his extended range bass...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1419266281' post='2638154']
I think it might be this.
During the solo Sadao Watanabe's face is pricelss.
Top, top band as well.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7S8wRcRNU[/media]
[/quote]
Fantastic solo.
And as you mentioned earlier - epic music stands. That one is like a windbreak

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1419154026' post='2636957']He's known for classic P bass playing (totally my thing) right up to developing the 6 string[/quote] As far as I know from interviews with AJ, he never played a P bass. His first professional instrument was the J with the stripped finish in Sadao Watanabes video, which the eventually tuned BEAD.
He then had Carl Thompson build a first and second contrabass guitar prototype (the first unsuccessful, the second never meant to be played, only as a build test for an extra long scale) before starting the still ongoing collaboration with Fodera.

I did see once a video of him with a Stingray, a bass he never has talked about, so I wouldn't be too surprised if a video with a P bass did emerge. Incidentally, the Stingray video would be my personal favourite sound, it was amazing!

Edited by Shedua511

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1419277353' post='2638324']
As far as I know from interviews with AJ, he never played a P bass. His first professional instrument was the J with the stripped finish in Sadao Watanabes video, which the eventually tuned BEAD.
He then had Carl Thompson build a first and second contrabass guitar prototype (the first unsuccessful, the second never meant to be played, only as a build test for an extra long scale) before starting the still ongoing collaboration with Fodera.

I did see once a video of him with a Stingray, a bass he never has talked about, so I wouldn't be too surprised if a video with a P bass did emerge. Incidentally, the Stingray video would be my personal favourite sound, it was amazing!
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Not sure where I got the P bass thing from actually, always thought the O'jays stuff was a P. Great Jazz tone on the above vid.

Any clips knocking about with AJ playing said Stingray?

Edit: answered my own question.. Yes there are.
Can't really see him clearly at all, but he is there sat behind the keys with a tobacco burst/maple Stingray:
Chaka Khan Live TV Performance 1981 Whatcha Gonna…: http://youtu.be/CIvYtfp66ro

Edited by miles'tone

That's the video I was thinking about. I really wonder why AJ choose to ignore the use of a Stingray bass altogether in his lengthy interviews. Perhaps it was just a one-off occasion, a case of broken string and a loaner instrument... I'm no AJ, but there are photos of me with instruments I have no recollection of ever playing :D
Sounds good though, no doubt about that!

Edited by Shedua511

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1419278409' post='2638342']
Thanks for that. Not sure where I got the P bass thing from actually, always thought the O'jays stuff was a P. Great Jazz tone on the above vid.

Any clips knocking about with AJ playing said Stingray?

Edit: answered my own question.. Yes there are.
Can't really see him clearly at all, but he is there sat behind the keys with a tobacco burst/maple Stingray:
Chaka Khan Live TV Performance 1981 Whatcha Gonna…: [media]http://youtu.be/CIvYtfp66ro[/media]
[/quote]

Actually, AJ played and recorded primarily with a Fender Precision Bass right from the beginning of his career as a session musician in the early 1970's up until the late 1970's. All those tracks he did for Gamble and Huff such as the O'Jays were done with a P. He started using the Jazz Bass as his main instrument much later in the 70's.
I've certainly never heard of him using a Stingray ever, so that is a new one on me! But I think that the answer to this riddle may well be that for some reason AJ is playing Hamish Stuart's Stingray. Hamish is playing guitar in Chaka's band and I recall seeing him playing an identical Stingray with AWB around 1979.
I remember watching AJ play his Jazz Bass with Chaka Khan and it was very noticeable that he played right over the neck pickup and got a very P-like tone. He started using a six string on the Al Di Meola stuff in the very early 80's, but dissatisfied with the recorded tone of his Smith Bass he re-recorded most of Electric Rendezvous with his downtuned Jazz Bass.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1419795782' post='2642780']

Actually, AJ played and recorded primarily with a Fender Precision Bass right from the beginning of his career as a session musician in the early 1970's up until the late 1970's. All those tracks he did for Gamble and Huff such as the O'Jays were done with a P. He started using the Jazz Bass as his main instrument much later in the 70's.
I've certainly never heard of him using a Stingray ever, so that is a new one on me! But I think that the answer to this riddle may well be that for some reason AJ is playing Hamish Stuart's Stingray. Hamish is playing guitar in Chaka's band and I recall seeing him playing an identical Stingray with AWB around 1979.
I remember watching AJ play his Jazz Bass with Chaka Khan and it was very noticeable that he played right over the neck pickup and got a very P-like tone. He started using a six string on the Al Di Meola stuff in the very early 80's, but dissatisfied with the recorded tone of his Smith Bass he re-recorded most of Electric Rendezvous with his downtuned Jazz Bass.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info and helping to clear that up! Makes sense now, cheers :)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1419815668' post='2642999']
Thanks for the info and helping to clear that up! Makes sense now, cheers :)
[/quote]
No problem, my friend,pleased to be of service! :i-m_so_happy:
I'm a big fan of AJ's playing, but to be honest with you I much prefer his work on the pop records he played on in the 70's and 80's to the jazz and fusion stuff he has done subsequently. I can appreciate the amazing musicianship, but for the most part, that music is just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
This is the track that made me aware of AJ, and his playing on it is a masterclass in taste and subtlety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSx2HIi4dFg

I love his playing on this track too.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RuxkqOg_jQ