Why become a member? ×

Light weight combo for pub gigs

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1419710501' post='2642161']
Wait for the Max to arrive, open it carefully and then you could try it and use DSR to return if you don't think it stacks up well against the BAM?
[/quote]

Good advice Moos3h, thank you

The never ending compromise, weight/portability v sound. Having used an Ampeg SVT 2-PRO and matching 810 last week, yes te sound was probably the best I`ve had in a long time, but after the gig, helping to move said flightcased items made me really appreciate my gear. I wouldn`t go back to heavy gear now, I`m more than happy to get the best possible sound from the lightweight gear I have. I agree with Moo3h though, use DSR to your advantage.

As a real kick in the teeth, I just missed out on a GB Contour on Gumtree so, I ordered the MAX115. A couple of days later, the seller of the Contour contacts me to say that his buyer has backed out and the combo is up for grabs again. I was in two minds as to whether to cancel my order for the MAX115 and buy the Contour or leave the MAX115 on order. I'm still in a state of confusion. The Peavey may perform the job admirably but if I can't get on with it, I may be kicking myself that I didn't grab the Contour when I had the chance

The Contour in question is a 1x15 so more comparible with the MAX115. I don't go for 'zing' in my tone. I'm very much an old school, rounded tone type of guy. Tweeter in the BAM is usually off and I tend to boost the low mids and roll off some top end.

Well, what a day ! The MAX115 arrived this morning. I unpacked it, not as light as I'd hoped, certainly nowhere near as light as the Fender Rumbles, but far more manageable than the BAM210. I plugged in, EQ set flat. Not an unpleasant tone and appeared quite pokey. "Right, let's check out the features", I thought. Trans-Tube engaged. A second later, the most horrendous loud buzzing. Trans-Tube disengaged, quickly. 'Punch' engaged. Equally horrendous loud hum. Similar sad tale with the 'Bright' function and I also noticed that the tuner wasn't working.
I contacted PMT Online Sales and informed them of my findings. They were very apologetic and said that they would arrange to get it collected. I offered to deliver it back to the store in Birmingham if it would speed up the process.
Twenty minutes later, I was in the store. I asked if they had another but, unfortunately, they didn't. I had a wander round the store and was immediately struck by a guy trying a bass through a Roland Bass Cube 120XL. I was taken by how loud and punchy it sounded. I had a quick glance at the gain and master controls. It wasn't being driven hard and would certainly have been loud enough for my requirements. It's £400+ price tag was a bit too much for me though.
Then, I spotted two TC Electronic BG250 115's and asked to try one out. I was very impressed. Certainly more than loud enough for the trio I'm in and considerably lighter than the MAX115. It was up at £315 but I got it for £285. I played through it most of the afternoon and am very happy. Cant wait to gig it.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1420018970' post='2644807']
I love a happy ending. :D

Congrats on your purchase..... and I'm looking forward to a review (please) as that's on my 'watch carefully' list.
[/quote]

Will do ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Got to use the BG250-115, in anger, for the first time last night. First impressions? Nice easy load-in. Great ! Surprisingly loud and a great range of tones. It would probably hold it's own in my 'loud' rock covers band. The 3 band EQ can make huge changes in one's tone. I struggled to find 'my tone' but it's early days yet and I didn't get a lot of time in the sound check to experiment. I would have liked an attenuator or switch on the tweeter. I'm not a fan of tweeters and always have the one on the BAM210 turned off. I found that I had to back off the treble EQ in an attempt to take some of the brightness out of the sound. Unlike reviews that I've read on the earlier single Toneprint BG250, I found the built in tuner useful. I do own a TU3 but I tuned using the BG250 then checked it harmonically afterwards and it was spot on. Not a user of effects as a rule but I did download a compressor into the BG and found it very useful on the gig, keeping it on all night. All in all, great value for money. I just need to experiment with it a bit more to find 'my tone'

Edited by MoJo