Why become a member? ×

Creativity, Is It Over-Rated?

blue

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1417810176' post='2624311']
Listen mate, saying two bob's worth is perfectly cool. Anyone telling you it isn't is trying to curtail your creativity and interpretation. Anyway, I say two bob's worth as well, and I'm a f***ing limey ****.

It's f***ing hard for new bands with any originality and creativity to break in the UK, and it's probably the same in the States.
[/quote]

Overall it is the same here, however some regions in the States might be kinder to originals bands. But not Milwaukee, it's strictly a blue collar working man's cover band city.

Blue

The author of the worlds best self motivation book, Napoleon Hill, suggests that there are two different types of imagination :synthetic, and creative.
Synthetic imagination is taking existing ideas and reconfiguring them in different ways to come up with new ideas. (I'll come back to this point).
Creative imagination is used to create something entirely new, and is much more difficult to achieve. This is how we assume all of the best musicians write all their best work, but it may not be the case.
I recently saw a clip on youtube by a guitarist who was talking about writing songs, and how as part if his degree, he was challenged with taking old jazz standards and changing them just enough to make a new song. This may sound like plagiarism, but if you stop as think about it, there are only 13 notes, and in most scales there are only 8 out of those 13. Reduce again the number if chord progressions that sound pleasing to the ear, and the same ones seem to keep coming out.
He draws a really interesting comparison between the red hot chilli peppers song "scar tissue" and the Beatles "blackbird", did frusciante mean to do this? Maybe, maybe not who knows, but this is
My challenge for next year is to start writing and this will be the process I use to start with.
If you think you aren't "creative" try taking one of your fave songs and "tweak" it to turn it I to something else!

There is nothing totally original in music. There never was. Everything is someone's take on what went before, on what their "heroes/influences" did.

I wonder which side of this fence Led Zep were on when they wrote the songs that made their millions . . . . . .

I don't think you can rate creativity. You can be creative with existing songs and cover a song in a unique way. There is as much creativity in covering existing songs differently as in creating new stuff. Just because someone's creation is a multi-million seller and another doesn't making out of the local pub, is sometimes little to do with creativity but more about having a formula and being also very commercially aware.

Edited by zero9