Why become a member? ×

White Gibson Thunderbird IV

larrikin

Still looking. I remember the previous thread. :)

I've been on the look out myself for a long time. Supposedly Gibson were setting up their own distribution in the UK, earlier this year. [url="http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=1174"]Ebony[/url] ones are easier to find. I have seen a few about, but not in classic white.

Edited by Tee

I have seen more than one of these floating around in the music shops over here (Cologne, Germany) but I'm sure they are quite rare and not sure how difficult it would be to order from them.

On a side note, I really don't understand the appeal of these things as I've just found them the heaviest and uncomfortable basses that I've ever worn... The sound also seems a bit one-trick-pony but maybe thats part of the charm?

[on another side note, swear I saw one in Denmark St last time I was there.... although surely nothings worth the hassle of going to that dreaded place?)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='259808' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:26 AM']Thomann will probably have one in stock. You'll be searching for a while for any Gibson/Epiphone products in the UK as Gibson have cut out all the smaller dealers, so only a select few are allowed to sell the things these days. Personally, I think they've cut their own throats, business-wise.[/quote]

Thomann definitely have one. Never played one, but they look the mutt's nuts

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_thunderbird_iv_cw.htm"]Thomann Gibson Thunderbird[/url]

Edited by cotsan

Blimey! That is a bit heafty on the price. The euro exchange rate being so low in the gutter doesn't help.

I have a used Black T'bird I bought 4 or 5 years ago and really like it. It is my chosen bass when I play live (dodgy covers band doing decidely MOR stuff right now!). It's a big full sound, with yards of sustain. Fat C profile neck that I find very useable. I hate that bloody neck dive though!!

Saying all that, I am currently loving the Jap Fender P bass I bought off the EvilBay.. ohh yummy I do like that sound :)

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='265812' date='Aug 19 2008, 07:24 PM']Apparently moving the strap holder to another place cures the neck dive. Or something![/quote]
No "apparently" about it - my white epi t-bird has no neck dive at all since I moved the strap button. A definite design fault, but one thats easily remedied.