Why become a member? ×

Keeping a rhythm ??

larrikin

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm picking up some really good pointers here!!

There's an online metronone that I think I will play along with for now, or clap my hands to as one website says.

So, Cantdosleepy, how would you count the beat to Charmer?

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='256261' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:47 PM']See, not a clue what that means haha

4/4 is a very, very common time signature for rock music like Kings of Leon. It basically means that every fourth beat is accented.[/quote]

That's not what it means. At all.

If you want songs that make you focus on the rhythm, try playing along with oldies like "Green Onions" by Booker T or "Gimme Some Lovin" by Spencer Davis. The bass lines are very simple, repetitive and relentless. When you've cracked the Booker T "Green Onions", try the extended improvised versions by Al Kooper or Roy Buchanan.

[quote name='larrikin' post='256366' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:13 PM']There's an online metronone that I think I will play along with for now, or clap my hands to as one website says.[/quote]

Ah, if you can play along while clapping your hands, then you clearly have ninja bass skills, and you should stop pretending you have a problem just to get our sympathy.

:)

Stick on some AC/DC. Phil Rudd will have you playing in time to him, in er, no time. ^_^

But seriously. Rhythm and timing is something you're born with, in my opinion, rather like co-ordination (sports). You can learn it, but to some, it will come easier than it does to others.

Maybe get a cheap drum machine, or download some drum loop samples. They're far more interesting than a metronome. Besides, they'll be quantized anyway. Shake your body to the kick and the snare and enjoy. :brow:

[quote name='The Funk' post='256378' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:21 PM']That's not what it means. At all.[/quote]

Yeah - I'd advise you not to listen to me as a starting point.

Maybe the Funk will tell you what it means. Or you can Google it. The internet is full of this kind of information, although wikipdeia pages etc might not be the most beginner-friendly resources.

[quote name='Tee' post='256455' date='Aug 6 2008, 04:46 PM']4/4 essentially means there are 4 beats (one, two, three, four) in the bar, using quarter notes.[/quote]

Just to add to the confusion, for most purposes a "quarter note" is a standard single note, certainly in the majority of rock music. It's Sunday name is a "crotchet". 4/4 means four of those beats repeating. Unless the song has a complex rhythm, you should reasonably easily be able to hear the repeating four rhythm. A common rock bass part is playing 8th notes (ie, two notes per standard beat), and you would count that as 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Galilee' post='256391' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:29 PM']Ah, if you can play along while clapping your hands, then you clearly have ninja bass skills, and you should stop pretending you have a problem just to get our sympathy.

:)[/quote]

Pretending to have a problem, to get sympathy..... Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing.

I'm not just looking for advise or anything, I crave sympathy from people on forums, how did you work me out so fast?!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='256445' date='Aug 6 2008, 04:35 PM']Yeah - I'd advise you not to listen to me as a starting point.

Maybe the Funk will tell you what it means. Or you can Google it. The internet is full of this kind of information, although wikipdeia pages etc might not be the most beginner-friendly resources.[/quote]

Well, the other guys explained 4/4 pretty well. Try to "hear" the music in groups of 4 beats.

What Sleepy said, to do with accents, is a bit more sophisticated than that basic concept.

Once you can hear the music in groups of 4 beats, you'll be able to hear that 1 or more of those 4 beats is accented, as in louder or more forceful than the others.

In most funk/rock/blues/soul/jazz/punk/indie/hip-hop/dance/electro in 4/4, there is an accent on the 1 and a pair of accents on the 2 and 4. The accents on the 2 and 4 are called "the backbeat". You'll often hear a kick drum on the 1 and a snare on the 2 and the 4.

In reggae, there's an accent on the 3.

Don't worry about any of that for now. Just try to hear the music in groups of 4 beats... but beware! Some songs are in other time signatures (ie. groups of 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or any number of notes).

But none of this matters if you don't join a band right now and get playing with a drummer! Playing bass on your own without a drummer is a bit like having sex on your own without a woman.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='larrikin' post='256501' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:22 PM']I know, it's exactly what I do, I have no life see, so I come to a forum, get my kicks from you then I move onto another topic on another forum.

Idiot[/quote]

Whatever you do, don't visit the funny bassplayers forum....you''ll be totally out of your depth. :) Keep up the practice and you'll get there in the end...even Sid Vicous played in time occasionally.... usually by mistake.

4/4 FTW.
What I found useful, and to be honest I now do it unconsciously, was to count 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4... and so on whilst I was listening to a song and feel myself fit into the rythm. Once you've done that try combining it with tapping your feet and/or your hands/fingers.
Pretty soon you'll find that you do it unconsciously.
You don't necessarily need to be using your bass to practice your rythm, it's not dependant on the instrument, only you really.
make sure that you pick something obvious to count to - hat, snare, kick. If there is a silent bit or a long intro, try counting in or counting through so that the rythm comes in on the right beat.

Thanks for all your help, last night I jammed with my firends band and myself and the drummer played Fans by Kings of Leon, and I kept in time quite well, even though it's only basically one note the whole way through!

I can't wait to jam with my band!! I get what you mean about the accents Funk, thanks for that