Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Studio

Murph_Orpheus

Hey dave,

Fancy meeting you here. ^_^ I tried a four string studio version and it was pretty abysmal; thin sounding, chunky neck and the balance was very poor with a lot of neck dive. Although, I'd imagine the reason anyone would use this instrument is the aesthethic appeal so playabilty and sound would be secondary.

Best advice is 'try before you buy'! But I prefer that tasty spector you were using the last day. What happened to the $$?

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='254939' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:26 PM']Hey dave,

Fancy meeting you here. ^_^ I tried a four string studio version and it was pretty abysmal; thin sounding, chunky neck and the balance was very poor with a lot of neck dive. Although, I'd imagine the reason anyone would use this instrument is the aesthethic appeal so playabilty and sound would be secondary.

Best advice is 'try before you buy'! But I prefer that tasty spector you were using the last day. What happened to the $$?[/quote]

Yeah the Spector I was using for the gig yesterday is my newest baby, shes lovely :) its a pity the gig was crap, couldnt hear a thing onstage! Ah well. I still have the $$, theres no way I'd part with it! I'm of 2 minds in regards to the Thunderbird, I've been offered it as a trade for my Ampeg head.

I had a studio for about a week before returning it due to Gibson's poor QC.

The scratch plate was chipped around the edges (which I din't notice in the shop), after plugging it in for the first time only one pickup worked, and the second the cable moved in the jack socket, eveything would cut out. I love the look (and tone when it works), but found the neck kept getting too sticky due to the lacquer. Didn't find neck dive on the studio a problem though. Also the pickup positioning is a bit of a pain if you play fingerstyle.

Try before you buy, I'd say.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='256205' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:56 PM']I had a studio for about a week before returning it due to Gibson's poor QC.

The scratch plate was chipped around the edges (which I din't notice in the shop), after plugging it in for the first time only one pickup worked, and the second the cable moved in the jack socket, eveything would cut out. I love the look (and tone when it works), but found the neck kept getting too sticky due to the lacquer. Didn't find neck dive on the studio a problem though. Also the pickup positioning is a bit of a pain if you play fingerstyle.

Try before you buy, I'd say.[/quote]

Or get a Warwick BBC?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='254940' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:33 PM']dont think iv ever heard positive comments about the studio, iv heard alot more positives about the epiphone version...[/quote]

i'm guessing the reason for this is because the epi's so much cheaper than the gibson. the epi's £200 and the gibsons over a grand. from what i've heard the gibson is hardly worth the extra money.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='256558' date='Aug 6 2008, 06:08 PM']Or get a Warwick BBC?[/quote]

lol

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='255008' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:35 AM']Well it wont be costing me anything, as I'd be trading an Ampeg head that I've no use for anymore for the Thunderbird. But you're right anyway, I'll try it out first.[/quote]

Which ampeg head is it that ya don't need?
Will be in the market for a new head soon

[quote name='BassManKev' post='254940' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:33 PM']dont think iv ever heard positive comments about the studio, iv heard alot more positives about the epiphone version...[/quote]

Yeah, i had an Epi Thunderbird in 2003/4, it's good and meaty tone-wise and looks pretty cool too. The neck-dive is possibly even worse than a crappy Epi SG bass I had the misfortune of playing recently.

Wouldn't recommend unless you're going to be playing sat down, but then again if you were going to do that, why the hell would you want the Thunderbird? I cannot comment on the Gib Studio, I would imagine it suffers the same issues.

Was glad to be rid of mine...

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='257460' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:28 PM']Which ampeg head is it that ya don't need?
Will be in the market for a new head soon[/quote]

Its an SVT 450H. Selling for 550 euros, whatever that works out as in the exchange rate these days I'm not sure!