Why become a member? ×

Introducing myself

Kingbassist

Hello there. I'm new to Bass Chat so I just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi. I'm a professional bass player living in Guildford. I'm currently the bass player in the west end show [i]Hairspray[/i]. Previous shows I have played in include [i]Fame[/i], [i]Daddy Cool[/i], [i]Never Forget[/i] and [i]Dancing in the streets[/i]. I've also depped in [i]Mamma Mia[/i] and [i]Billy Elliot[/i]. Recently I've been gigging with [i]The James Taylor Quartet[/i] and [i]Sister Sledge[/i] as well as [i]Winston Rollins' band Real[/i] featuring members of [i]Jamiroquai[/i]. I'm occasionally lucky enough to get the odd session in but generally the majority of my work is live. I use [i]Overwater[/i], [i]McIntyre[/i] and [i]Sei basses[/i], [i]Epifani Amplification[/i] and [i]EBS[/i] and [i]Boss pedals[/i].

[quote name='Kingbassist' post='254537' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:43 PM']Hello there. I'm new to Bass Chat so I just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi. I'm a professional bass player living in Guildford. I'm currently the bass player in the west end show [i]Hairspray[/i]. Previous shows I have played in include [i]Fame[/i], [i]Daddy Cool[/i], [i]Never Forget[/i] and [i]Dancing in the streets[/i]. I've also depped in [i]Mamma Mia[/i] and [i]Billy Elliot[/i]. Recently I've been gigging with [i]The James Taylor Quartet[/i] and [i]Sister Sledge[/i] as well as [i]Winston Rollins' band Real[/i] featuring members of [i]Jamiroquai[/i]. I'm occasionally lucky enough to get the odd session in but generally the majority of my work is live. I use [i]Overwater[/i], [i]McIntyre[/i] and [i]Sei basses[/i], [i]Epifani Amplification[/i] and [i]EBS[/i] and [i]Boss pedals[/i].[/quote]
Wow! A real professional! :) Welcome sir! Are you sharing the JTQ bass chair with Andrew Mck then?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='255054' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:27 AM']Wow! A real professional! :) Welcome sir! Are you sharing the JTQ bass chair with Andrew Mck then?[/quote]

Hi there, thanks for the message.. I'm not sharing the JTQ bass chair with Andy, I've just been depping for him on a few gigs whilst he's been busy with other things.. Andy comes in to Hairspray and covers for me when I want a night off too.. We're pretty much the same age and are very similar players so we end up throwing a fair amount of work each others way.. Top geezer is Andy...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='255018' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:11 AM']Nice to see you here!

Did you play for Greg Lawrence many years ago?

Nick (ex One Eyed Cats)[/quote]

Hello!... Thanks for the message... And yes I played for Greg Lawrence for a fair few years there.. His function band was one of the first things I did after leaving university... I met some great players playing for the big man..

[quote name='Kingbassist' post='255104' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:51 AM']Hi there, thanks for the message.. I'm not sharing the JTQ bass chair with Andy, I've just been depping for him on a few gigs whilst he's been busy with other things.. Andy comes in to Hairspray and covers for me when I want a night off too.. We're pretty much the same age and are very similar players so we end up throwing a fair amount of work each others way.. Top geezer is Andy...[/quote]
Yeah, I haven't met him yet but it seems like we might have a few acquaintences in common. :) He's a superb player - some really funky solos! I went to see JTQ at the Hammersmith Palais a few years back. I think Gary Crockett was playing for him then though.

Whats James like to work with? I'm guessing the JTQ bass lines are fairly demanding physically? Did you learn them by reading or by ear?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='255113' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:57 AM']Yeah, I haven't met him yet but it seems like we might have a few acquaintences in common. :) He's a superb player - some really funky solos! I went to see JTQ at the Hammersmith Palais a few years back. I think Gary Crockett was playing for him then though.

Whats James like to work with? I'm guessing the JTQ bass lines are fairly demanding physically? Did you learn them by reading or by ear?[/quote]

James is fine to work with.. On my first gig I'd had no rehearsal or even a sound check so was pretty much thrown in at the deep end.. But James is very clear with his cues and has been dead friendly to me... You're right, the bass lines are pretty fast and furious on a lot of the songs, but great fun to play.. Learning the tunes I did a bit of both, I listened through to a few recordings but also Andy had written me out some basic charts with example bass lines and the structure outlined, so that really helped..

[quote name='Merton' post='255116' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:58 AM']Welcome! Didn't even realsie Gary Crockett had left JTQ... :)

Do you cross paths with Phil Mulford much?[/quote]

Hello there.. Yes I see Phil every so often, I work at the top of Drury Lane at Hairspray and he works at the bottom of Drury lane on Dirty Dancing so we bump into each other quite a bit and occasionally grab a bite to eat in between shows on a matinee day and talk bass... or should that be bass chat??

[quote name='Kingbassist' post='255125' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:06 AM']Hello there.. Yes I see Phil every so often, I work at the top of Drury Lane at Hairspray and he works at the bottom of Drury lane on Dirty Dancing so we bump into each other quite a bit and occasionally grab a bite to eat in between shows on a matinee day and talk bass... or should that be bass chat??[/quote]
For a while Phil and I were chatting on facebook while he was between songs in the pit at Dirty Dancing. I nearly managed to persuade him to hook up a webcam and beam live pics out! That would have been a bit of a hoot. :) Imagine if all the west end pit bassists had laptops and an internet connection...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='255134' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:09 AM']I nearly managed to persuade him to hook up a webcam and beam live pics out! That would have been a bit of a hoot. :huh:[/quote]
When I see him after his holiday I will pay him to do exactly that :)