Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror 500 + GK Neo 212?

James901

Hey

I'm hoping to downsize my current rig by hooking up an Orange Terror 500 to my existing GK Neo 212. The amp puts out 500w at 8ohms, the cab is rated at 600w at 8 ohms. Can anyone see the cab being pushed too hard in this setup?

Thanks!

Edited by jimi_1985

Like pretty much any cab you will be able to break it if you put a seriously low bass frequency-heavy signal into it with extreme dynamic peaks at high volume.
If you're sensible though, that combination should be just fine.
I had a neo 212 once and used to push it very, very loud on occasion.

I put my OBT through a Barefaced Compact and seldom have to push the volume above 3 or 4 as the heads are so loud. I agree your ears will give out before the cab does! Let me know what it sounds like as even though I'm really happy with my current set up I do have gas for a 2X12.

hi,the SP212 Orange cab is 600 watt at 8 ohm,so you should be pretty safe.A lot of us use them with one cab maybe cause 1 is enough and the price doesn,t really justify getting 2 although I will get another one some day
They are Loud the Terror bass head-4 on the gain and 4 1/2 on the volume and that was serious loud,had to turn down a bit.
Let us know how your cab n head sound together,I think you will like it cranked-that,ll be about 4 ish then

Thanks for the comments! I tried the OBT out over the weekend with the Neo 212 and was amazed at the volume of the amp. You're right, 4 & 4 was pretty much bang on. Unfortunately the amp didn't cut as much as my Fusion 550 and I was unable to replicate the growl I get form my existing set up. The amp itself is great though, a very earthy bottom end with tonnes of warmth, also a great match for the Neo 212. I can think of lots of situations where it would fit in perfectly but at present I need that cut I only seem to be able to get from my GK.

Edited by jimi_1985

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1416151229' post='2607365']
Agre, OTB is a great little amp, plenty of power, great warm tone but to get any flexibility pedals most likely needed.
[/quote]

totally agree

my 1000 is a awesome place to start but to change the flavour it needs a few pedals put in front, but you could also try an eq pedal that might give you a bit more variation.

but if you want the gk sound probs best to stick with the 550

andy

• 2 weeks later...