Why become a member? ×

Need help on buying a new amp

Twincam

Think my frankly terrible but strangely cool Carlsbro cobra 90bg is on its way out getting some odd overtones and phaser effects in the background. Its tone was rubbish really anyhow.

So im looking at buying a new amp. I'm still a relative beginner and i don't gig. But do sometimes have a bit jam with friends, max volume isn't a big concern. Something more portable than what i have would be great too, the cobra weighs a ton. However weight and size is not a deal breaker. What i do want is something quality that has a nice tone (very subjective i know) and probably anything will be an upgrade at present to be honest. Reliable and easy to use i do love fiddling with settings but something easy to get a variety of tones out would be great.

Budget is very limited at around 350. Some amps im looking at are the Laney rb7 blackface, Ampeg svt micro cl stack, Hartke 115c hydrive. Im not going to get the chance to really test any new amp as the not many stores around so buying on others reviews and opinions.
Second hand im probably going to get more for my money but im keen on buying new when it comes to a amp im going to have for a while. But if i see a really good second hand buy then i would reconsider.

So opinions and ideas please.

On a side note i looked inside the cobra and thought it was really cool to see nearly all made in England parts, and a few US ones that surely makes it a boutique amp right? haha ;) .