Why become a member? ×

Fender bass dispute

Bassistclem

Do you think you paid more for the item then you would have if it was from the late 90s?

My personal experience with both made and crafted in Japan basses is that they are both generally excellent products. Also I wouldn't value a MIJ less than a CIJ or value it higher if it was older.

If the bass is indeed a 75 reissue, of Japanese descent, in the condition it was made out to be in and you think you paid a fair price for it then there shouldn't really be any issue.

Made in Japan from around 82 till 96/97 means it was made by fujigen, crafted in Japan means it was made by Dyna Gakki, not common before 97 as production hadn't completely changed hands, only some CIJ from earlier than 97 exist due to so,e Fujigen expansions that slowed production.

Do you mind telling us what you paid?

They reuse the numbers but a MIJ with an A is from 86/87 and a CIJ with an A is 96/97

All in all it's very confusing, some say this and some say that but it's hard to keep track and get proof.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1415402399' post='2600108']
Do you think you paid more for the item then you would have if it was from the late 90s?

My personal experience with both made and crafted in Japan basses is that they are both generally excellent products. Also I wouldn't value a MIJ less than a CIJ or value it higher if it was older.

If the bass is indeed a 75 reissue, of Japanese descent, in the condition it was made out to be in and you think you paid a fair price for it then there shouldn't really be any issue.

Made in Japan from around 82 till 96/97 means it was made by fujigen, crafted in Japan means it was made by Dyna Gakki, not common before 97 as production hadn't completely changed hands, only some CIJ from earlier than 97 exist due to so,e Fujigen expansions that slowed production.

[/quote]I paid £650? Probably about right for an 86. I always was lead to believe the mid 80's japanese instruments were more desirable

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1415402399' post='2600108']

They reuse the numbers but a MIJ with an A is from 86/87 and a CIJ with an A is 96/97

All in all it's very confusing, some say this and some say that but it's hard to keep track and get proof.
[/quote]Also many thanks for the info Prime bass

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1415402535' post='2600110']
I paid £650? Probably about right for an 86. I always was lead to believe the mid 80's japanese instruments were more desirable
[/quote]

I've paid more and less for similar age Fender Japan stuff.
I would double check all your stuff first with Fender UK, as you could very well even have a fake on your hands, or even a parts bass.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1415403135' post='2600118']
I'd like to reiterate though that if you like it and it's a pukka Fender Japan you should be happy regardless of age.
[/quote]

Cheers and thank you for your reassuring words..

I've told him I'm not disputing it anymore, life's too short anyway...Told him to give £50 to Children in Need from the both of us and be done with it!

Edited by Bassistclem

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1415400995' post='2600095']
of which I would definately deem a lower grade bass....
[/quote]
And here is the crux of the biscuit.

As mentioned, Japanese Fenders have been remarkably consistent over the years but that doesn't stop people perceiving differently. So as with US Fenders older is generally perceived as better, and CIJ or MIJ is considered a mark of altered quality - that applies whether or not there is any truth in the matter.

I'd suggest that since you've raised this as an issue you're probably not happy with the bass. It may play, look and sound amazing but if there's something niggling away at the back of your mind you're never going to find satisfaction. If you want an older MIJ return this one and look for one that suits.

Incidentally, many of the RIs and signature instruments retained the MIJ designation on the headstock. And to throw another variable in the mix, Atlansia also made some necks for Fuji Gen. Only there's no easy way of distinguishing them so we don't get any generalisations regarding their quality.

Edit: Just seen your last post - probably for the best.

Edited by Musky

Having bought and sold a few Japanese Jazzes over the years, I'd say £650 was about right for a 75 reissue, whatever the year. If you decided you didn't like it you could put it up on basschat, at that price, and it would be snapped up pretty quickly.

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1415402535' post='2600110']
I paid £650? Probably about right for an 86. I always was lead to believe the mid 80's japanese instruments were more desirable
[/quote]

Sounds like a reasonable price in either case to me, if in good condition.