Why become a member? ×

Japanese Fender Prices

mickcope

Apologies in advance - but I am trying to get to grips with fender pricing (if it is possible). I have a fender Mexican jazz which i paid 300 for and a Geddy Lee Jazz which cost me 450 - they are great. I now fancy an unlined fretless. There is one on Ebay but at over twice the price I paid for these two

- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-fretless-bass-guitar-Has-To-Go-Asap-/301374636649?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item462b540269

Am i looking at it the wrong way in trying to take a rational approach to the pricing and market value of a fender?

I don't want to overpay and then lose shedloads if I want to change the bass later

Be gentle .....

Ta

Mick

I got my Jap Precision directly from Japan. It was used and in great condition.

It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure it was about £575 ish including shipping.

If you want a Jap Fender then get one from Ishibashi or one of the well respected Japanese ebay sellers.

Ishibashi have new and used stock - you just have to move quick when you see something you want. Top service from those guys.

Fender Jap prices have gone through the roof recently, because as most accept, Jap built basses are extremely good. However Fender Jap's reputation was built on basses equal in quality and aesthetics to their US equivalents but at a much lower price. Fender Jap are good, but they are still Fenders. At the prices they're being sold for these days, there are to my mind far better options, many of which are also made in Japan and the far east but without the cache of the Fender logo.

I think that it is about 600 quid over priced. The bass isnt a 62 Ri. The serial number is on the head stock which means normal jazz bass and not a resissue. Basswood body. Bad ass with roller saddles? never seen one like that. No hard case only gig bag.

I would walk away from that.

Ishibashi are very good. Got one of the weird Japanese special edition Jazz's earlier this year (PJ based on a 62 jazz with badass) was second hand a few marks. To door the price was £625 including shipping, VAT, import duty and parcel forces storage charge. Actual bass price was around £490.

Moving on to the eBay one, thats a Hipshot A not a badass. Its probably as people have said before at least £500 overpriced plus you don't know if its been rewired by a clown. As far as i'm aware Fender Japan don't make unlined jazz's currently.