Why become a member? ×

Frets, why so big?

MoonBassAlpha

• 4 weeks later...

thought I'd revive this thread again as it's one of the few interesting topics here!

Have a look at the above pic. The bass at the top is a £2000 custom, the one on the bottom a £75 item. The one on top has thin, rounded frets and is [i]very[/i] prone to fret buzz no matter what you do with the action. The one on the bottom has larger frets and you can see they've been flattened on the top - in fact they're more square than round. This one doesn't buzz at all even when the action is lowered and is incredibly comfortable to play

So IMO the best kind of frets to go for or look for in a bass are bigger, flatter ones, not thin ones.

But the dingwall in my photo had smaller frets than the frets you call small (or at least lower, yours seems thin and high), but didn't suffer from fret buzz until your actualy got very very low (which I did). IMHO, if yours is buzzing it has nothing to do with the frets and everything to do with the setup of your neck

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1422811091' post='2677024']
But the dingwall in my photo had smaller frets than the frets you call small (or at least lower, yours seems thin and high), but didn't suffer from fret buzz until your actualy got very very low (which I did). IMHO, if yours is buzzing it has nothing to do with the frets and everything to do with the setup of your neck
[/quote]

I don't agree, although there are obviously some exceptions, ie, your bass. Thin frets are naturally prone to buzzing. I have two thin fretted basses in which this is the case. They're set up as well as they can be. You have to be careful with your fretting technique. You can afford to relax if the frets are chunkier and flatter.

If the frets are dressed, leveled and crowned properly, then the set up, and buzzing, are determined almost exclusively by neck relief. If your 2K bass is buzzing as you describe, then either the neck is misadjusted or the fretwork is faulty. There's the nut to consider also. The gauge and height of the fretwire is of no relevance to the equation whatsoever, so long as the right relief, nut height, and fretwork has been done.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1422811575' post='2677034']
I don't agree, although there are obviously some exceptions, ie, your bass. Thin frets are naturally prone to buzzing.
[/quote]

Well, I am sure there was nothing special about that compared to other dingwalls, that are all small, or indeed more vintage instruments that has smaller frets than modern types.

Why are thin frets naturally prone to buzzing? i don't understand the physics of why that would be so, or find anything on google to back up that assumption, but would be interested to find out why. I suppose that wear would be faster on a thin fretted guitar, but that would just lead to uneven frets, which is more a setup issue than a fret issue.

Fretting is one thing that I'm trying to get my head around on bass. On guitar I prefer Extra Jumbo by a country mile - I also own guitars with medium and vintage frets (plus an 80s Gibson with their flat & wide things) but if I was speccing a guitar out it would be with 6100 wire or equivalent.

Woodinblack's photo is interesting because I also play an SR505, and I think that the frets on it are tiny. In comparison to the Dingwall, though... I've always liked the look of those basses but I'm not sure that I'd be happy with those frets.

I also enjoyed that Fender video. I do play guitar with a light fretting hand (which makes sense compared to fretwire preference) but this really isn't helping with bass playing. I keep having to remind myself to harness my inner caveman and grip the neck tighter!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414001416' post='2584747']
I dont really notice things like this anymore, nut width, neck width, neck profile, jumbo frets, skinny frets, no frets, 34" 41.3" or 35" scale. I think I've become lazy and complacent rather than super skilled or anything :)
[/quote]

Did I write this???