Why become a member? ×

Picking the right cab for an unusual setting

Dapper Bandit

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma and was hoping I could pick the assembled brains of BC.

I'm in a three piece band which comprises of bass/bass/drums. We're an unusual metal band (a hybrid of noise rock / doom / prog with a dose of dub) on a small island so we only ever play with vocals in the PA so amps have to do their fair share of heavy lifting. The other bassist is using a full Trace stack (4x10 and 1x15) and I've been using an Orange Terror bass into 2 1x15s which were the cheapest boxes I could find with 3015lf speakers thrown in. At our last gig one of the speakers went and I think it's finally time to invest in a decent cabinet.

I'm looking for something that isn't boutique priced but has good dispersion and good low end (aren't we all?). Weight isn't a massive issue but something to consider as I am not on the mainland and our sole guitar shop does not carry bass amps. I could possibly order something but as they are selling Gibson Les Pauls at £400 over MSRP I don't really want to use them if I can avoid it.

Part of me is very tempted by an Ampeg 810 because that's what Bill Laswell uses but is that enough reason to take the plunge?

TL:DR noisy metaller wants a decent, loud cab for under a grand.

Cheers!

Agree, 810s don`t go for much on here, in fact there`s one on here for £550. For the type of music, especially if not fussed about weight, and with good low-end & dispersion I`d look at a Marshall VBC412 or a Peavey TVX 410. More than enough there and neither will break the bank due to not being lightweight.

If you really want the Ampeg then a used one plus the courier fee should still be withing budget and you get the cab you really want, if you buy something new that you decide isnt right in a years time you are stuck with a cab worth half what you pay for it maybe less with such a limited market for collection only? Sounds like you know what you want, all you need is a bass chatter going to Jersey to collect something and a bit of luck?