Why become a member? ×

FENDER PRECISION BASS COMPARISON — USA / MEXICO / JAPAN

guitarbank

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1412872860' post='2572892']
Notice how the Mex sounds like a £99 junk store bass.. :unsure:
[/quote]

To me that would say that the US Fender is only a sweeter pickup away from a £99 junk store bass. The mexican one was boomier and less defined but you could fix that with a £100 set of pickups. Which would make a £99 junk store bass a veritable bargain compared to a US P. By the way, I'm listening to these in HD through a Focusrite Forte interface and studio headphones so it's the best quality listening I can muster.

Is the "£99 junk store bass" sound you're identifying due to the ceramic pickup in the MIM? I know some people like them, but they are one thing the the MIM has in common with your typical cheap copy. There are some great sounding ceramic pickups on the market, but they're probably not the ones designed by bunging steel poles and a ceramic magnet onto an existing design to save on the cost of alnico...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1412885517' post='2573066']
Is the "£99 junk store bass" sound you're identifying due to the ceramic pickup in the MIM? I know some people like them, but they are one thing the the MIM has in common with your typical cheap copy. There are some great sounding ceramic pickups on the market, but they're probably not the ones designed by bunging steel poles and a ceramic magnet onto an existing design to save on the cost of alnico...
[/quote]

Amazed how bad it sounded, a £550 bass should not sound like this, neither should you have to start buying pick ups that "work" in a bass badged a Fender.
Think this needs some more investigation, a quality issue here.
Must admit the last Mex I triedin PMT was very dull and lifeless, the Squire classic put it straight down on sound and quality of finish for half the money.
The Mat freeman Squire they had in whooped the £1200 USA in my opinion, no contests, finish was precise, neck pocket was tight, the USA had room for a pick in the neck pocket !