Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a mini-mixer

warwickhunt

My present musical project involves a friend and I doing a bunch of acoustic numbers with both of us doing guitar and vocals and me playing bass as well (obviously not while playing guitar); we are also both utilising loopers (well... trying to).

I'd like to get a little mini-mixer to use both for house rehearsals and for a bit of live work. This wouldn't be the main PA mixer/amp it would just be a sub mixer for me and something to use as a mixer in the house which will just run into a guitar combo.

Is there anything that is good value for money and is there anything obvious that I might overlook when picking a mixer? If you are doing this yourself any insight would be useful.

I use one of these to mix the output from two preamps before sending to a poweramp (for my Ric which I run in stereo)

[url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1699"]http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1699[/url]

It's about as basic as it gets but the sound quality is fine and it does the job for very simple mixing. I don't know if it'll be too simple for what you describe but as a 4-channel submixer it's excellent vfm.

Regards,
Steve.

Edited by stevebasshead

I've got a [url="http://www.behringer.com/UB802/?lang=ENG"]Behringer UB802[/url] that's pretty good. I use it when my tutor comes to my place so that he can plug his gear into my amp save him having to lug his around. It does the job, you can plug up 6 bits of kit in, it has it's own effects loop that is individually controllable, all in all it's a nice bit of kit. There are a few Behringer mixers on EBay that are reasonaly priced too. I hope this helps you out mate? :)

Cheers for that Steve.

Those Behringers are cheap enough but I think I'd probably need some basic EQ. I think 4 channels would be sufficient but I'd need to be able to also need something that could accommodate different levels such as an active bass or a mic for vocals.

[quote name='Wooks' post='251386' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:02 PM']I've got a [url="http://www.behringer.com/UB802/?lang=ENG"]Behringer UB802[/url] that's pretty good. I use it when my tutor comes to my place so that he can plug his gear into my amp save him having to lug his around. It does the job, you can plug up 6 bits of kit in, it has it's own effects loop that is individually controllable, all in all it's a nice bit of kit. There are a few Behringer mixers on EBay that are reasonaly priced too. I hope this helps you out mate? :)[/quote]

The Behringer does appear to be coming out as a favourite but I've just got niggly doubts about reliability! Any issues with yours?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='251358' date='Jul 30 2008, 02:28 PM']My present musical project involves a friend and I doing a bunch of acoustic numbers with both of us doing guitar and vocals and me playing bass as well (obviously not while playing guitar); we are also both utilising loopers (well... trying to).

I'd like to get a little mini-mixer to use both for house rehearsals and for a bit of live work. This wouldn't be the main PA mixer/amp it would just be a sub mixer for me and something to use as a mixer in the house which will just run into a guitar combo.

Is there anything that is good value for money and is there anything obvious that I might overlook when picking a mixer? If you are doing this yourself any insight would be useful.[/quote]

At a reasonable budget? - I use a Mackie DFX6 mixer for some live gigs and it's pretty good - 4 mic inputs, built-in fx, 2-band eq on channels plus a small graphic. I paid £99 for mine new though the normal price seems to be about £119.

Andy :)

I doubt you'll beat the Behringer ones for price - the current range is called Xenyx but they have all the same small mixer formats plus a USB connection to a computer.

If the brand name bothers you you could look at the [url="http://www.studiospares.com/Mixers-Analogue/Soundcraft-Compact-4-Desktop-Mixer/invt/267570"]Soundcraft Compact-4[/url]

or the [url="http://www.studiospares.com/Mixers-Analogue/Yamaha-MG102C-Mixer/invt/274200"]Yamaha MGC102C[/url]

Both of these are well featured but a little more expensive (still pretty good value for money, though).

Note the number of XLR inputs before you buy as this will limit the number of mics you can connect simultaneously.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='251389' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:07 PM']The Behringer does appear to be coming out as a favourite but I've just got niggly doubts about reliability! Any issues with yours?[/quote]
Touch wood no none so far mate, it's hooked up to my Ashdown and I use it most days and so far it's been realiable

[quote name='Wooks' post='251422' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:39 PM']Touch wood no none so far mate, it's hooked up to my Ashdown and I use it most days and so far it's been realiable[/quote]
...and I've been using one for my PC/bass everyday for a while with no probs at all. Recommended.

[quote name='ahpook' post='251437' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:59 PM']i've got a phonic mu502 that i really like...[/quote]

The phonic mixers are ok (I've got the 802 version of that) but I'm sure they're made in the same Chinese factory as Behringer - the resemblances are too close to be coincidental.

Mine has one dead channel due to a broken jack socket so I'd reckon the reliability would be similar to Behringer (i.e. mostly pretty good but you get the occasional duffer).

Cheers one and all :)

Is anyone else using one in a similar circumstance (i.e. as a sub-mixer for a looper/mini rehearsal tool).

I can see the suitability for a tutor/pupil so that you can both play through one combo but I am also intrigued by the possibility of USB out into your PC... is it then a simple process to record etc?

[quote name='escholl' post='251719' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:42 PM']Peavey PV6 ftw!

best small mixer around, imo[/quote]

Yes, great little mixer, built like a tank and comes with a 5 year, that's FIVE YEAR warranty!

You'll never need it though.............

D.

[quote name='BOD2' post='251411' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:30 PM']you could look at the [url="http://www.studiospares.com/Mixers-Analogue/Soundcraft-Compact-4-Desktop-Mixer/invt/267570"]Soundcraft Compact-4[/url][/quote]

+1 for the Soundcraft Compact 4: 4 channels (2 mono, 2 stereo), 2 mic preamps, even has a DI button on channel 2 for electric bass/guitar. Very flexible routing options (record bus/monitor bus/main bus), 2 headphone outs, small, neat, pretty and quite cheap (mine cost me about £60 new).