Why become a member? ×

Wobbly pots on P-bass

omikin

I now have two US P-basses. I've always been aware that the older one has slightly wobbly pot knobs, but having bought a new US P I am even more aware of how wobbly they are compared to my new one where the knobs turn with a really nice action. On the new one there is a small amount of resistance as you turn them, they don't wobble, and they feel really solid. On my older one they move with very little resistance, and you can practically rattle them.

Is this just a question of age and use, or can the old ones be fettled to be a bit more solid? They're not moving in the scratchplate, so it's like it's the pots themselves, if that makes sense.

Any ideas / input would be really gratefully received.

Thanks!

There should not be wobble. Whenever I have had a loose control, I have done the following:
1) First, make sure something has not let go internally with the pot, or cracked on the scratch plate.
2) Make sure the correct knob for the pot shaft is being used. Pots have differing shafts; the correct knob installed correctly will eliminate knob wobble.
3) Make sure the pot itself is not wobbling, either from a loose mounting nut, or the wrong sized hole in the scratch plate. Occasionally you might need another thin washer to stabilize the pot when you tighten the nut.

If you have knobs with a grub screw in the side - fitted onto split/splined shaft pots, they're never a good idea - but there's a trick to fitting them :happy: Make sure the splined shafts are upright & parallel to each other, a flat screwdriver inserted & gently levered in the split will help but don't go too hard 'cos they break off quite easy. Then when you fit the knob onto the shaft make sure the grub screw lines up with the split, so as it's tightened the end of the screw tries to go into the gap. This will try to spread the shaft inside the knob & give you the best fit.

Or of course you could fit brand new US spec CTS solid shaft pots & matching knobs B) there's someone here who makes lovely kits I'm told ;) :P

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1411577011' post='2560863']
Or of course you could fit brand new US spec CTS solid shaft pots & matching knobs B) there's someone here who makes lovely kits I'm told ;) :P
[/quote]

I read that on the internet too - so it [i]must[/i] be true!

I've read that if you're careful you can open up an old pot and clean it up inside and bend the wiper arms so they are in firmer contact with the track... this might be where your old pots have developed their wobble. Have a look at this http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/fixingscratchypots.html

Just wanted to finish this one off. I exchanged a few mails with KiOgon and ordered one of his lovely kits which arrived within 24 hours. I managed to install it myself and the end result is great. Nice solid pots with a lovely action, and best of all they sound great. I feel like this bass has got a whole new lease on life and is now definitely not a second choice after my newer one.

Thanks John! One very happy camper here.