Why become a member? ×

Portable bass monitoring on stage

Woodinblack

I play in quite a few different environments and like many people have difficulty hearing the low stuff in some of them, especially the ones with amplifiers at a low (height) level. What I would like is inner ear monitoring of just my feed boosted slightly, so what I really want is a portable battery amplifier that plugs into my bass, gives me a jack socket pass through to the amplifier (without changing it) and a headphone socket so I can put one earphone in and adjust the volume so I can comfortably hear myself as well as everyone else from the other ear.

There are times I can hear me fine and have difficultly hearing the rest of the band, but that is not what I am worried about here.

Do such things exist? It sounds really simple but I can't seem to find anything that does it, or is there a really good reason to not have this that I have completely overlooked?

I used to have a rig that only had one cab, and I had the same issues, not hearing myself well on stage. I ended up using one of these - http://www.standback.net/ Getting the cab angled upwards really worked for me. It folds up and fits in a any small bag too.

All reasonable suggestions, but what I really want is for all situations where I am either using my amp, or someone elses amp, have no access to the desk so really just want it to be totally self contained to me, requiring no setting up beyond me walking on to the stage!

Im well Jim, still well but my 505 hasn't been touched since my dingwall turned up! Need another somerset / dorset bash.