Why become a member? ×

Behringer Powerplay p1 with custom IEM's.

cliffyspliff

Hi all ... Have decided to go down the custom IEM route and bought myself a pair of 1964 QI's....
The fit and sound awesome listening to music ... Cancel out all external noise ... I'm chuffed to bits with them.

These were bought to play music in a live situation in a heavy rock band in conjunction with a Powerplay P1 personal in ear amplifier.

Gig time came last weekend and I ran a desk feed into the powerplay into my in ears ..... With very poor results ...

With plenty of tinkering my band mates getting bored and the pub filling up ... We just couldn't get a good mix to my in ears.

Everything was making a crackling noise and sounding distorted ... So impossible to use.

No instruments seemed to be peaking the desk and it's worth mentioning our drummer plays with in ears too and his mix is fine.

The Powerplay has an in built noise limiter ...is it anything to do with that or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

might be worth trying them out in a practise situation before taking it into a live situation, to tweak out any issues.

You could try using your drummers IEM system, to set up your feed, then swap over and see if it changes with your set up?
What controls does it have on there? volume, mono / stereo & panning?

[b]EDIT:[/b]
Might also be worth checking all the cables and connections are solid, as crackling is a common side effect to damaged / worn cables, or loose jacks.

Or send it back and ask for a replacement to see if the problem still persists.

Edited by Old_Ben

This is something I will be keeping a very close eye on, as we have just received a set of P1 Powerplays and am about to pull the trigger on 5 x sets of ACS T1 in ears!!

We thought, for the money, we'd try the P1's for a bit and buy the proper job earphones, then save up and buy 5 x sets of the Shure PSM 900's sometime next year when we've saved enough.

Let me know the score.....otherwise, the P1's are going back as they haven't been used.

We'll be using them with a Behringer X32 by the way..........

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1411136440' post='2556836']
might be worth trying them out in a practise situation before taking it into a live situation, to tweak out any issues.

You could try using your drummers IEM system, to set up your feed, then swap over and see if it changes with your set up?
What controls does it have on there? volume, mono / stereo & panning?

[b]EDIT:[/b]
Might also be worth checking all the cables and connections are solid, as crackling is a common side effect to damaged / worn cables, or loose jacks.

Or send it back and ask for a replacement to see if the problem still persists.
[/quote]

Im gigging tonight and I was going to do exactly as you say and try the drummers feed and see if that works any better...
Its difficult for us to try and work this out in a practice situation as we do cary alot of gear at gigs ...large bass bins with tops ...our drummer is using triggers on everything now too ... so im pretty limited to trying it just in the soundcheck at gigs...

The Powerplay unit itself has simple controls ...2 XLR inputs, Volume, Pan, Mono/Stereo and headphone out... and a built in limiter to protect your ears.

I have read some where that Behringer micro amps like the HA400 dont like the signal being to hot going into them .... so im hoping that this is the case with the Powerplay and I can just turn everything down on the desk going into it..... Perhaps the limiter was kicking in or something ...I`ll try it tonight.

Well I used the Powerplay P1 again last and after a bit of tinkering with the desk ... I managed to get pretty good results.

As was mentioned yesterday .... If the signal is too hot coming out of the desk this thing will clip crackle and pop and be unusable .... Turn the signal down from the desk though and it works great .... In fact we had barely anything coming into it from the desk at all which I was surprised at ... But it was still plenty loud enough in my In ears.

I understand the limiter on this thing in principle is a good idea for protecting your ears .... But if the signal coming into the Powerplay P1 is too strong it becomes unusable ..... Which is worth thinking about when setting it up to play live.

I was happy with it last night to be fair.

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1411209641' post='2557502']
Well I used the Powerplay P1 again last and after a bit of tinkering with the desk ... I managed to get pretty good results.

As was mentioned yesterday .... If the signal is too hot coming out of the desk this thing will clip crackle and pop and be unusable .... Turn the signal down from the desk though and it works great .... In fact we had barely anything coming into it from the desk at all which I was surprised at ... But it was still plenty loud enough in my In ears.

I understand the limiter on this thing in principle is a good idea for protecting your ears .... But if the signal coming into the Powerplay P1 is too strong it becomes unusable ..... Which is worth thinking about when setting it up to play live.

I was happy with it last night to be fair.
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. I too have 1964 in-ears and was thinking about the P1 as a headphone amp, so will will heed the advice. BTW, where did you order the P1 from? Don't see it available anywhere ATM.

Thanks for the info!!

Reagrding getting hold of them in the UK; it's been nothing short of a nightmare.

I placed an order with DV274 back in May as they were showing them as 'in stock'.
As it turns out, they weren't physically 'in stock', but expected within a week or so.

After numerous emails and dates being put back, DV247 had to refund me as the due date from Behringer for them to be in the UK was pushed back to Dec.
I then found that Thomann were showing them in stock; went to order them and had a response saying that they they couldn't give me a date as there were problems at Behringer's end.

Ultimately, we ordered them through Amazon from a US supplier.
Not ideal, but we finally have them.

I think that if you order with a UK supplier, you'll be waiting a long time.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1411331086' post='2558538']

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. I too have 1964 in-ears and was thinking about the P1 as a headphone amp, so will will heed the advice. BTW, where did you order the P1 from? Don't see it available anywhere ATM.
[/quote]

I ordered mine from Thomann ... It was showing as out of stock but they were giving a date as to when they would have them available ... So I just ordered one as I too struggled to find one with a British supplier ... Thomann did actually send it out to me a few days before the date they stated too which was great.... And with a three year warranty you can't really go wrong

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1411379518' post='2558835']
I ordered mine from Thomann ... It was showing as out of stock but they were giving a date as to when they would have them available ... So I just ordered one as I too struggled to find one with a British supplier ... Thomann did actually send it out to me a few days before the date they stated too which was great.... And with a three year warranty you can't really go wrong
[/quote]

Don't seem to be showing them in stock now. As dudewheresmybass pointed out, gear4music seems to have them but will give them a call to make sure they're physically in stock.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1411369002' post='2558711']
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-Powerplay-P1-Personal-In-Ear-Monitor-Amplifier/XP0"]http://www.gear4musi...r-Amplifier/XP0[/url]
[/quote]

Gear4music's expected delivery 1st December! What's up with that?

Bought from USA Amazon instead. 8-12 days delivery but even with import duty, doesn't work out too much more.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1411416714' post='2559397']

Bought from USA Amazon instead. 8-12 days delivery but even with import duty, doesn't work out too much more.
[/quote]

It's mad that you can get something from America made by a German company quicker and with less hassle than you can over here.

Good luck with it though dude ... I think they are good investments and a lot cheaper than the alternatives too.

Edited by cliffyspliff

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1411454791' post='2559573']
It's mad that you can get something from America made by a German company quicker and with less hassle than you can over here.

Good luck with it though dude ... I think they are good investments and a lot cheaper than the alternatives too.
[/quote]
It's actually sold by Behringer on the US Amazon, so I don't see why they can't on the UK one. Who knows?

Anyway, am doing something slightly different with the IEs. It's all on my pedalboard with no feed from the mixer. The IEs have ambient porting and we're generally loud enough that I don't need a mix feed. It's working so well that I'm now blocking off the ambient port altogether.

I'm currently using one of the older Korg pandoras as a headphone amp, with a custom patch that's got only a bit of EQ and compression. Might miss those when I switch the Behringer, in which case might add one of those cheap Behringer EQ pedals in front of it.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1411416714' post='2559397']

[/quote]

Exactly what I did and for the same reasons.

They're made in China by the way, not in Germany.

Behringer have a phenomenal facility in China now.