Why become a member? ×

Album out and Band split.

Highfox

Can I share,
Second time in a row now this has happened to me.
The first band I decided to leave as nothing much was happening for us after 3 years of practicing, there seemed to be no drive or ambition within the band which got to me in the end.. No big problems for the they found a new bass player and have carried on more or less the same.

This other band was one I joined a s a side project when nothing was happening with my "main band!" (above) after a little bit of time things started to happen for us , decent new songs came easy lots of gigs, interest and invites and a bit of income as well. The main problem was that the singer and founder of the band is an alcoholic fairly unsociable and unpredictable, we never knew if we would get through a gig with him or not and traveling anywhere with him was a nightmare, anyway long story short... it all came to a head last night at practice when we had a band chat about our intensions on how we would promote the new album and some plans on upcoming gigs.. he basically said he wasn't going to do the shows we had lined up and when asked gave no reason and just said we could do them but he wasn't.. he then turned round and called us all assholes and that we could f*** off lol.
So we just took our gear and left him there.. As I said to the other guys it was inevitable at some point and just bad timing now as the Album comes out next week!
We have done a few shows with out him before with a different set as our guitarist can sing.. so from now on we are a trio and can start to build again.. We may still have some debt to the record company (for the album).. and our first few gigs may just be clawing the cash back..

anyone else been there?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1410170978' post='2546688']
Really sorry to hear this Don, I thought the band sounded great. Never been in that situation, sounds a nightmare, after all the hard work put in. Really want a copy of the album though, so please let me know how to get hold of one.
[/quote]
Thanks Lozz.. as I said bad time but a relief in a way.
I'lll send you a copy no prob.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1410171676' post='2546702']
Good luck with the trio. Maybe get a new singer to replace him. There must be plenty around who would like to come in on a new album release.
[/quote]
Thanks Guys, think that's what we'll be doing, but as the singer was the founder, the band name and most of the tracks were his, even if they were arranged by all of us.. luckily we have a lot of our own material to work on and the 3 of of us seem to have the same goals and ideas.
We will carry on as a trio for now and see how it goes.

I've been in a band with an alcoholic singer before. Luckily it didn't last long. Coordinating three or four [i][b]predictable [/b][/i]people is bad enough, but not knowing what state your frontman is going to turn up to a gig in is untenable.

We had a similar situation in that the guitarist could sing quite reasonably and took over the frontman duties. Luckily we had no other issues than honouring gigs we had taken. Good luck.

My last full-time band, I quit just before we released an EP we'd been working on for a year. Two years on with another bass player, they split just before they released their debut album.

I guess it's quite common. To be honest though in my band it seems it was mostly coincidence. I quit not because of the recording but because one of the band members was unbearable, and the whole band eventually gave up not because of recording, but because one of the other guys decided that the same band member was unbearable.

Me and the other original members are now quite happily making much better music together without the unbearable one. :)

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1410303005' post='2548105']
You can't beat a 3 piece in my opinion. Who needs a singer if one of you can sing. Better still if all 3 of you can sing.
[/quote]

My current band is a 3-piece and it works really well.