Why become a member? ×

Roundwound versus Flats

dougieb

I have rounds on my Modulus, heavy flats on my Precision and Thomastiks on my Jazz. So you could say I'm sitting on the fence....

Rounds for the punch and zing, Fender 55 - 110 flats for the huge thud and bottom end, thomastiks for a smooth flatwound style with a little extra punch than regular flats. Works for me.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1412023894' post='2565053']
I have rounds on my Modulus, heavy flats on my Precision and Thomastiks on my Jazz. So you could say I'm sitting on the fence....

Rounds for the punch and zing, Fender 55 - 110 flats for the huge thud and bottom end, thomastiks for a smooth flatwound style with a little extra punch than regular flats. Works for me.
[/quote]

I agree. As is often said in the "pick V fingers" discussions..."use both.. the more tools you have at your disposal the better, depending on the music"[size=4].[/size]

[size=4]Cant see why it should not apply to strings as well.[/size]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1412024868' post='2565061']

I agree. As is often said in the "pick V fingers" discussions..."use both.. the more tools you have at your disposal the better, depending on the music"[size=4].[/size]

[/quote]

Absolutely mate, nothing wrong with some pick action too

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1412024868' post='2565061']

[/quote]

Do you mean pick v fingers on rounds or flats ?

Again, it's all down to your taste . I mean, if you like soul music, then flats are gonna speak to you more than rounds and likewise, if your into metal, it's rounds . Why does this subject always elicit so much debate? Personally, I'm a round wound kind of guy. I have delved into the world of flats, but always return to the welcome twang of nice new rounds. I do keep one P bass strung with flats, but have never gigged it. It's just for mucking about with in the house.

I played rounds for years until recently I thought I'd try flats........
Straight away they felt alien to me, slinky and slippery making me over shoot frets even, I didn't think I was gonna get on with them at all and was tempted to take me straight back off.
But I left them on and played for an hour and once is gotten used to the feel of them i then started to muck about with the tonal quality of them...... I absolutely love them !
Don't know why I have never tried them until now, can't see me ever going back to roundwound.

I love the thumb when playing muted with a pick, I love the sound of finger style with no fret or finger noise and most of all i love the slap sound of them......
I suppose a lot won't like them for slap, for me they give that real mellow groove sound to a slap but remain growly and punchy too.

Would recommend perseverance to any one trying them out. Jazz bass, flats, mesa tone.....awsome.