Why become a member? ×

I need to get a rig together....

karlbbb

Hey guys. I'm off to Uni in Sept, doing a course in Sound Engineering, and hoping to meet a few new musicians and get a band together.

One problem....I don't have an amp! So I need to get one sorted....and I'm looking to spend, at the [b]very most[/b] £900 - £1k.

Ideal set up would be a rack with tuner, pre-amp & power amp, plus two cabs, I imagine 1x15 + 2x10 or 4x10.

I've got my eye on a DHA VT2 Rackmount pre-amp...I play a lot of punk etc and valve gritiness is really what I'd be after. Although I'd need quite a clean tone sometimes for other applications (covering a wide range of genres on the course), so perhaps I'd have to ask Dave to see if he'd be able to exhange one of the valves for a lower gain one?

Also with regard to cabs, I'm happy to go second hand (providing I can get a good deal etc)

So, the basic question...can it be done?

I'm open to all suggestions!

Cheers guys, Karl.
:)

Going new, if it were me in your situation, I'd be heading straight for 2 Aguilar 1x12 cabs (either of the 2 kinds that they do - probably go for the DB112 cabs in tweed and get a matching 2unit case for the amp) and a chrome rack mount Evo III Ashdown ABM 500. Maybe a bit more than your budget, but not by too much.

Otherwise there's an Ampeg BSP preamp, saoundtech 802 poweramp and tech soundsystems 4x10 in the for sale section. That'd be mighty rig!

Thanks for the suggestions!

As I say, I'm happy to buy second hand, but it'll be around the end of September/October when I'll be looking at buying, so I can't really look too much into s/h just yet.

If I were to get a 410 + 115 rig, would it be worth getting a crossover for use with a stereo power amp? Split the lows to the 115 and the rest through the 410?

I'd recommend either two smaller cabs (1x12" or 2x10" size) or one larger one (4x10" or 2x12" size). I wouldn't recommend going for the traditional full 4x10" plus 1x15" stack - its overkill SPL-wise, a pain to move and not the most efficient way of getting that SPL. Having owned a rack tuner for years, I concluded they're fairly pointlessly large if you're moving the gear yourself, as are larger rackcases which people often just get for The Look.

Alex

Thanks again for the smaller cab recommendations. I guess it'd be slightly easier on the pocket too!

With regards to weight/size, I'm honestly not to fussed, as at only 19 years old, I still have plenty of lifting in me.

The idea of having two 2x10" seems a good idea, as I can use one or both then, depending on how I need it!

Edited by karlbbb

Yes I would definitely go along with the 2 small cabs recommendation. Its all very well going for the rig of doom but it seems to me you are not going to know where you can keep if and how much you are going to move it. And the first thing you are goona learn on the course is you dont need all that SPL!

Rack tuners are overkill - just get a TU2 or DT10 or the strobo equivalent if you are feeling flush.

Ive only just realised that I keep mentioning the tuner...I have one on my Zoom pedal!

Any recommendations on 210 cabs? Preferably ones where I could get 2 for around £300/£400, or may even go for a 410, again, same price (or cheaper)!

You can get a new Hartke 4.5XL from GAK for £250. They sound pretty damn good to my ears but are obscenely heavy.

A secondhand Ampeg or Warwick valve preamp would be a good choice, as would a secondhand QSC power amp. A new Gator rack 4U case would not cost more than about £65.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='249802' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:19 PM']Why do you need seperate power amps and preamps? Just more stuff to lug around.[/quote]
Agreed. And blowing all your budget on a preamp and connecting it to the cheapest power amp and cabs you can get is not a sound plan. :)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='249802' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:19 PM']Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II and 2 GK Neo 112's. Sorted.

Why do you need seperate power amps and preamps? Just more stuff to lug around.[/quote]

Typically theres just this very rig (with only one cab) in the FS section, and I can't buy it yet! Argh.

Looks like a good suggestion, after a quick search it seems the GK's are good bump for the money. Would probably have to go second hand for at least the cabs, as buying it all new comes over budget! Damn timing! :huh: :)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='249802' date='Jul 28 2008, 05:19 PM']Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II and 2 GK Neo 112's. Sorted.[/quote]

The 700RB-II is an amazing amp. I love mine. Ive never needed to turn the volume up more than a like a quarter so it is a loud mother******. Its definatly worth looking into/trying out. I run it with a GK 410RBX. wish i got a neo now though cos the RBX cabs are bloody heavy.

[quote name='The Funk' post='249859' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:39 PM']The DI outs on the GK heads are pretty good too, btw.[/quote]

Good, as I imagine it'll get used a lot!

Would using the GK through Hartke cabs be detrimental or could it work quite well (I'm well aware you can't use the HMS, and that the amp runs in 'full range' mode)?

[quote name='karlbbb' post='249866' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:55 PM']Would using the GK through Hartke cabs be detrimental or could it work quite well (I'm well aware you can't use the HMS, and that the amp runs in 'full range' mode)?[/quote]

It'll work just fine. GK head on Hartke cab was one of the 'classic' rigs through the 80s and 90s.

Alex