Why become a member? ×

I need to get a rig together....

karlbbb

Worth the extra £100 or so for the 1001RB or would the 700RB be sufficient?

Thomann currently have the Hartke 4.5XL for under £300 and the 1001RB-II is £513.

Also as a quick plus, any recommendations for a rackmount compressor?

Edited by karlbbb

After a bit of reading etc, and price research, I've come up with this list:

Gallien Kruger 700RB-II £399.00
Harkte 2.5XL £210.95
Harkte 2.5XL £210.95
Stagg 4U Rack £59.00
Behringer MDX2600 Composer XL £85.00
Cables £52.00 (2xSpeakon + 2xpatch cables, from OBBM)

Total: £1,016.90

In which case it'd be more like:

Gallien Kruger 1001RB-II £513.65
Harkte 2.5XL £210.95
Harkte 2.5XL £210.95
Cables £31.50

£967.05

And of course, all this is brand new. Could be quite possible to get some second hand.

Edited by karlbbb

+1 to dropping the rack tuner. You've got a good tuner in the Zoom already.

I'd stick the money in the bank until you get to Uni - I took a Peavey TNT combo (obscenely heavy) to uni with me and both bands I was in used rehearsal studios and most venues had backline in place or I was able to DI into PA. Apart from two gigs I never needed my amp!

Looks like a cool rig. If you buy it all new from somewhere, especially the same shop, then you should ask them to knock some money off.

Get them to do the head + cabs for a flat £900 - that'd save you the cost of the cables which you could then get from OBBM.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='251577' date='Jul 30 2008, 07:33 PM']Looks like a cool rig. If you buy it all new from somewhere, especially the same shop, then you should ask them to knock some money off.

Get them to do the head + cabs for a flat £900 - that'd save you the cost of the cables which you could then get from OBBM.[/quote]

Could possibly do so. I've just been toying with the idea of getting an GK 410RBX cab instead of the two Harkte cabs but I'm not sure yet. If I did, the GK comes with the cable for the bi-amp feature, so I wouldn't need any extra cables.

I'm living at home while at Uni so storage isn't an issue at all!

P.S. The kind of band I'll be in will need a fair bit of oomph bass amp wise. (Listen to a band called A Wilhelm Scream if you haven't already). I know me and a guitarist mate are pretty much decided on starting a band, and of a similar genre to our [url="http://www.myspace.com/jeanisdead"]old band,[/url] and we didn't exactly play quietly!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='251571' date='Jul 30 2008, 07:30 PM']I'd be tempted to get the band together first and fit the kit around it. Chances are, you won't need anything like a £1k rig![/quote]
hmmmmmmmmmmmm +1

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='251571' date='Jul 30 2008, 07:30 PM']I'd be tempted to get the band together first and fit the kit around it. Chances are, you won't need anything like a £1k rig![/quote]

[quote name='sk8' post='251949' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:47 AM']hmmmmmmmmmmmm +1[/quote]

As I (think I) mentioned in the original post, I wont be ready to buy 'til the end of September or October so I imagine it'll be a few weeks or so into the course so I'll hopefully have an idea as to what I'll need. Definitely go for the GK head though, I've heard nothing but good things on both here and TB.

Edited by karlbbb