Why become a member? ×

I might go cab-less tomorrow!?

stingrayPete1977

The band setting up when I left had a big bass rig and sound before going into the pa, it sounded great but if they matched the rest of the band to that and put it to foh it will have been far too loud, on the other hand friday night I enjoyed playing more with my bigger amp as the main backline with just a bit of bass in the pa. I could hear the db quite well with it up there so that was ok.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1408986143' post='2535264']
Yes, it's good to see the pics
and great that you had good reviews
[/quote]
It looks like the sound guy managed to compress the electric drum kit so it was not as bad out front as it was in my monitor so maybe last night I was stressing too much. The drummer says he has found a loose connection on the snare but as you can see in the pics he ended up swapping the floor tom for the snare so I think he needs to check again! Almost like a clipping overload sound like he had turned something up too high imo.

I have played FOH gigs without an amp, but my preference would be to use my rig. That spot on the stage is your office. It's where you do your work, where you shine and where you display your wares/talent/ability to your band and guys out there who might want to hire you for bigger and better things.

Having the same sound on every gig gives you continuity and allows you to concentrate 100% on playing your instrument. If you give yourself a challenging environment by making changes you're not focused on the music and the show suffers.

I go cabless all the time. It is very liberating, I find and really helps be confident in what I am playing and you can always hear the bass given it is so omni-directional.

Interestingly, the weaker members of the band get really stressed out unless they hear themselves twice as loud as everything else...