Why become a member? ×

Badass Bridges

Norris

I've never really been into modding guitars. About the most radical I've ever gone is fitting Schaller strap locks!

Badass bridges though. Are they that much better than a standard bridge? What models are there (for 4-string Jazz)? What sort of prices do they fetch? Pros/cons?

I'm still not keen on doing anything to my MIA fretted just yet, but my MIM fretless has the cheaper bridge, that does look a bit flimsy to me. It might just be up for some experimental surgery.

So please excuse the n00bishness and discuss...

Norris

(Oh, and while I'm in full on n00b mode, wtf does 'GAS' stand for?)

well, i've got one on my bass and i love it. really increased the sustain and tone, at least to my ears. i know for sure it increased the sustain b/c i timed it before/after >.<

cost me $105 from the US for a black, pre-slotted model....but i picked it up when i went to my parents in april, no idea on prices here in the UK.

they're way more solid that a standard bridge, and weigh probably about twice as much. you MIA probably doesn't really need one but i would think the MIM could def benefit from one.

haven't really found any drawbacks at all to it, honestly have nothing bad to say about it. i love it.

and never did figure out what GAS stood for either :)

Yes , in my opinion , they are worth it.

A much more solid unit which does increase attack and sustain.

The badass II design will drop straight into the 5 screw holes on your Fenders , no drilling. You'll need to do alittle fettling with the original Badass (Badass I ?) and the Badass III.
Expect to pay around £30 for a good used Badass II or search Bass Parts Direct (US dealer) for a cheap price on a new one.

There's an excellent thread pinned to the top of the repairs forum here that will tell you all you want to know.

GAS = Gear Aquisition Syndome.

Bridges like badass add two things.

1.Mass. In theory the higher the mass the less vibration of the bridge will be in the same frequency range as the vibration of the strings.
2.Rigidity. Again this is aimed at reducing the vibration of components of the bridge.

This vibration reduction results in greater sustain and clarity although I think sustain is often over-rated. Seen guys bragging about their sustain and then they slap the sh*t out of it :) :huh: :huh:

There are other makes like Schaller, ABM, Hopshot, Gotoh; there are a number of guitar parts websites that sell them. Allparts is one but the webiste aint much. The big thing about Badass is they are direct replacement and screw into the same holes. However, they are quite tall and often the neck will need to be shimmed (packing the neck pocket to change the angle of the neck) or adjusted if the neck has the microtilt. Some of the other bridges are also direct replacemet but not many.

However, there are some quality basses like Lakland and Celinder that use a beefed up bit of bent metal.

The Badass II for topside stringing makes a huge difference in attack & sustain, but you'll only need a Badass if you're top-loading the strings. If your bass has through-body stringing, such as an American Fender, a Badass will make little difference to the sound, as the through body strung bass has a totally different sound anyway.

I'm very happy with the sound & sustain on my US through-body Jazz. I've not had my MIM fretless Jazz for long, but feel it maybe lacks a little in comparison (bridge-strung). It's got a gorgeous action though, lower profile neck and is lovely to play. I'll have to keep my eye out for a Badass II.

• 2 weeks later...

I have chaged the bridge on all of my fenders, (78 Precision, CIJ jazz & MIJ jazz fretless), to Badass. The first one was done many years ago & when i bought the next 2 it was an automatic decision to change the bridge. In all cases it just feels more solid & increased the sustain.

The other change on the Japan ones was to replace the pick ups with Seymour Duncans.

The pick up change is just me being a bit fussy but the bridge is what made the most difference.

I can only say go for it

jeff

[quote name='Protium' post='261667' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:12 PM']Tone-wise you won't notice any difference.[/quote]

Actually I think that some people might experience a slight difference in tone. My Jazz (w/Badass) seemed to become a whole lot more punchier when I upgraded from the original bridge. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'm a lot happier overall now :)