Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR series: anyone tried a pickup modification?

Spoombung

I really like the dimensions of these instruments but for some reason they all sound identical to me; oddly thin mids and scratchy treble no matter how they're configured. Has anyone attempted a mod, either pickup of electrics or are they doomed to sound the same because of something inherent in their construction? Curious.

My SRA305 was a perfect gigging bass until I decided to put La Bella black nylon tapewounds on it. Then, just like any passive bass, the nylon tape wrap effectively disconnected the ground to the bridge, causing hum and noise. So I had to go with EMG actives, because they do not require a bridge ground. To the contrary, EMG specifically instructs a player to not connect the bridge ground, as the pickups are grounded internally to a noise floor greater than -100dB.

As far as the fit, finish, comfort, and playability of the bass, it is superb, and it is my main gigging bass. The only different between the 300-series basses and the more expensive basses is the woods and appointments. The fit, finish and playability are all superb.

If I still played conventional rounds or flats, it would still be a perfect gigging bass in its original passive configuration with EMG HZ passives.

Edited by iiipopes

Pick up wise, in the standard marks I think it's only the Bartonlini pick ups and Ibanez's own that'll fit. A new set of Bartolini's will cost about £220...which if you own an SR300 is almost as much as the bass itself :)

I'd look at a different pre amp.