Why become a member? ×

Ibanez P bass from the early 70's

Dik

Collectible if you're into 70s Japanese built basses! But seriously, it's possibly quite a rare beast; I can't see any serial number in the photos you've given and according to info over at Talkbass...

"Ibanez were one of the very early Japanese companies to copy the P-Bass and there are very few around. This P-Bass is rare. The last of these P-Bass were made from the mid '70s. There were no serial numbers (as well as the '70s Fernandes). Probably your bass was made between '72-'77. Unlike other early Fender copies, this Ibanez P-Bass is very hard to find now, even here in Japan."

"Ibanez started using serial numbers in '76, so your bass probably is no newer than a '75."

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/dating-a-vintage-ibanez-precision-bass.537257/

From photos I've seen online of Ibanez P basses they seemed to use the traditional split pickup so yours might have a later pickup. Investigation under the pickguard might indicate later routing of the body to take that shape or the pickguard itself might show that it's been filed to take the rectangular humbucker. As for where it was made, probably at the FujiGen or Matsumoku factory.

If you are really keen you could PM our very own Bassassin (Jon) who's well up on all things Japanese 70's and 80's. He can probably tell you a likely year, factory it came from and what the workers had for lunch on the day it was made ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1407491320' post='2521014']
If you are really keen you could PM our very own Bassassin (Jon) who's well up on all things Japanese 70's and 80's. He can probably tell you a likely year, factory it came from and what the workers had for lunch on the day it was made ;)
[/quote]
yes, try and capture a clear view of any scraps of food left in the cavity when taking your photos.

Actually Jack, it's a 2366B - the 2369 was the white P/J with the maple/black blocks board. :)

As luck would have it, I own an Ibanez 2366B and as a result I've done some digging regarding these. Here's mine:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:43162] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:43163]

MIne's pre-serial, meaning pre-76 but in many respects is quite different to Dik's. I'd say his is very early, probably '71 or '72, because it has a number of features not found on the majority of Ibanez Fender clones. These are the 8-pole Maxon single-coil pickup, tuners with small chrome keys, broad chrome truss cover, and dot inlays which stop at the 17th position. The last feature is the only one shared with my 2366, and that dates mine to approximately '72/'73.

The Maxon pickup will have a serial number stamped on its reverse - these can be decoded to give a manufacturing date for the pickup, and therefore an approximate age for the bass.

Anyway yes, [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/"]these are collectable[/url], rarity depends on where you are (there aren't too many in the UK) and value is determined only by who else wants it and how hard their GASmonkey is riding them that day.

KevB - Fujigen Gakki, and believe it or not - bubble & squeak. Funny old world.

Jon.