Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Jazz bass Special- good deal?

cameltoe

Not a version I'm all that familiar with, but have stumbled across one locally, which requires a little bit of TLC, for £200.

It's white pearl finish, very Duff, with a few nicks and dings.

The person selling seems to think there is an issue with the neck- to be honest the relief looked a little high for my liking, but I like my action very, very low. Other than that it seemed ok, and just that a minor truss tweak may be needed. Had a typical 'music shop' set up, if you know what I mean, and the guy couldn't articulate what exactly he felt was wrong, other than his mate had told him it needed a shim (I've noticed this has become the default solution for people who don't really know what they are doing). I wouldn't have shimmed it- neck angle seemed fine and loads of adjustment left in the bridge.

The electronics had a seized pot, but I didn't have the chance to test to see if it all worked, but at a glance everything seemed soldered together ok and all original by the look of it.

I'm wondering whether to take a punt on it- I'll be honest, it's a bit hair metal for my taste, but I am a fender fan and I'm always on the lookout for a bit if a bargain, so wondered what the consensus was on these basses in general (bearing in mind I'm a P fan) and how this deal sounds?

Edited by cameltoe

I`ve not played an original, did have the Duff Sig for a while. Nice basses, versatile, obviously do "that" tone very well, but it`s not all they can do. £200 even with possibly having to spend on repairs is good, they`re generally around the £600 mark.

£200 for a MIJ Fender Precision is an absolute steal, even with a few niggles. I had the active version - Power Jazz Bass Special - and it was really lovely. They have a Jazz width neck, btw. Even if the neck is knackered for around £100 you could get a Mighty Mite neck of your choice and it would still be cheap.