Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz

bridge

I feel a bit of a fool asking this, however, picked up my Squier VM Jazz fretless, for the first time in months. Tuned it, had a little noodle, and the fret buzz from both the E and A strings is horrendous! It never did this before, and I am afraid that it may have been caused by leaving it in a gig bag, leaning against my bedroom wall!! any ideas welcome.

Edited by bridge

Leaning your bass against a wall is no more likely to cause damage to it than it would a baseball bat. It's just a lunk of wood ;)

What's more likely to have caused change to the set up is humidity. Especially if you haven't played it in months: winter to summer.

Just give it a quick set up (adjust the bridge saddles, tweak the truss rod, etc) and it should be fine.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404038770' post='2488652']
Leaning your bass against a wall is no more likely to cause damage to it than it would a baseball bat. It's just a lunk of wood ;)

What's more likely to have caused change to the set up is humidity. Especially if you haven't played it in months: winter to summer.

Just give it a quick set up (adjust the bridge saddles, tweak the truss rod, etc) and it should be fine.
[/quote]
Dont touch the saddles!!! Saddle heights dont change between the seasons, all you want to do is get the neck back where it was when it played well before by letting a little relief back into the neck. Unless you are doing a full set up, changing string type/gauge or adjusting to your own taste then the truss rod is all you should ever need to adjust as the seasons/climate changes :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404047228' post='2488738']
Dont touch the saddles!!! Saddle heights dont change between the seasons, all you want to do is get the neck back where it was when it played well before by letting a little relief back into the neck. Unless you are doing a full set up, changing string type/gauge or adjusting to your own taste then the truss rod is all you should ever need to adjust as the seasons/climate changes :)
[/quote]

this!

sounds like all you probably need to get it the way it was is turning the truss rod nut clockwise a little bit. Maybe half a turn. Try that, without touching anything else, and see how it goes

[quote name='bridge' timestamp='1404634422' post='2494228']
Pete,
Little bit of relief, just about a eighth of turn, job done, back normal, thanks for advice guys.
[/quote]

ah, got late to the party... glad it worked :)

But is no biggie either way... it isn't rocket science.

Maybe the OP will need to get to grips with basic set-ups if they leave
basses in bags for months leaning up against a wall.
I'd be more surprsed if the neck hadn't moved ..
I'd say he is lucky to get away with such a quick adjustment...

No it isn't I agree but that's not what the OP asked is it, leaving it in a bag or taking it to the Sahara desert won't move the string height or the intonation screws so why suggest to the person asking to start messing when they obviously are not a bass tech and all the bass needs is a truss tweak?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Guys,
Ok , I admit, I am not a brain surgeon, I am not a rocket scientist, Petes advice fixed it! end of.!Yes, I should and will get to grips with basic set ups, and have learned a lesson about leaving a bass in a bag, against the wall. Jesus, if I knew everything, I would not have asked, or done it in the first place!
Consider myself severely admonished!! :blush:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404716163' post='2494846']
No it isn't I agree but that's not what the OP asked is it, leaving it in a bag or taking it to the Sahara desert won't move the string height or the intonation screws so why suggest to the person asking to start messing when they obviously are not a bass tech and all the bass needs is a truss tweak?
[/quote]

Because they obviously need to get to grips with little things like this... and any bass you leave up against a wall
in a bag for months is just the type of bass you can try all this stuff out on...

[quote name='bridge' timestamp='1404719521' post='2494882']
Guys,
Ok , I admit, I am not a brain surgeon, I am not a rocket scientist, Petes advice fixed it! end of.!Yes, I should and will get to grips with basic set ups, and have learned a lesson about leaving a bass in a bag, against the wall. Jesus, if I knew everything, I would not have asked, or done it in the first place!
Consider myself severely admonished!! :blush:
[/quote]

Not a problem... this is all stuff we get to know along the line.
There are little tricks that can rescue a bass... before you need drastic measures.. so intonation, action and neck tweaks..plus pickup height etc etc are all part of it. If you change strings and/or gauges you should be aware that parameters need checking.

A lot of necks can move... some move anyway just through a change of temp and seasons, even if properly stored and others
can be rock solid, come what may. Neck profiles can be wildly different and some wood isn't as seasoned as it should be, for various reasons, so if you change anything or haven't checked things out for a while... this is a 2 minute run-thru.
If you use this opportunity to get to grips with the workings of a bass, you'll get confidence to get the tools out should anything go 'wrong'