Why become a member? ×

anyone use Wilkinson elephant ear tuners on a tele headstock

hollywoodrox

anyone here used wilkinsons on a telebass headstock, I ask this as I read somewhere on a forum someone had to grind a bit of the plate off as they they have larger than normal bass plates. Cant afford hipshot's at the moment.

This would be relevant to a precision neck with the small headstock like a tele too. I dont want to use the gotoh style as they have to look like the vintage /clover,elephant ear type.

I can trim some off the wilkinsons no doubt with my dremel, I am not sure which bit would protrude from the headstock though and cannot find a pic. Cheers....Paul

The best thing to do would be to buy the Wilkinsons from somewhere like Axesrus, line them up and if they don't fit, send them back. As I said in the other thread, my Fender tuners fit fine on the back of my Tele Bass headstock and in theory both the headstock and the tuner plates should be the same shape.

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1403831641' post='2486961']
Cheers guys , I think the wilkinsons may be particularly huge for some reason have read of them not fitting on squier p bass, s the post I did read involved grinding some off, I will see, the hipshots are awesome though, will keep eye open for g & l ones too
[/quote]
They did not fit properly on the headstock of my Squier Jazz. The top corner of the G protruded by few mil'.

I fitted some to my Vairiax which I reshaped the headstock to a Tele shape, it is slightly smaller than a Tele so I had to sand the top of the G and the top of the D as it just protruded into the cutaway part, it was no big deal and doesn't look horrific in any way, unless you are particularly OCD, I could only use three screws per tuner on the two I trimmed but the screws only stop them from rotating under string tension so no problem at all.