Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Portamento

Sambrook

Just played one thus afternoon, very very nice bass. Lightweight, nice thin neck, great sounds, and it's even got lines on the side of the neck I case you're new to fretless. The only drawback I found was that the fingerboard goes up to the neck pup so slapping is awkward. Otherwise a fantastic instrument.

£619

Tried out the 4 string today, blown away. For the money it's really great.
They are a little neck heavy but not by much & I'm fairly sure a strap would solve this. The bass is so light you could probably add a weight in the cavity as well.
Great sustain & the piezo sounds lush. Will be great on my jazz / latin gigs. Adding the magnetic pickups gives a great fretless tone & found the treble to be better sounding than my other Ibanez basses. May get a luthier to smooth out the fretboard edges as they are a little sharp but may be ok.
I really urge people to check these out. Ibanez are very hit & miss for me but this is a good one for sure.

On hold for me while I sleep on it & get permission ;)

[size=4]Watch this space :)[/size]

Back to the shop today for another demo.
I love this bass but the one in the shop had a little dent in the back of the neck that I'm fussy about.
Gonna wait for another one to come in.

Did play it for a bit longer today with the other half present & she loved it as well.
We both really dig the piezo tone. I heard a few demos online but sounds way better in the flesh.
Kick in the magnetic pickups & great fretless tone, really like the bridge honk.
I'm now also appreciating flatwounds. I could have played it for hours which is always a good sign.

I spent an hour or two with a four string. I loved it, but then I don't know how to play a fretless. It nearly sounded good anyway. Some people who could plat fretless though tried it too (we had a bass meet recently where the distributor brought a along a few basses) and they loved em too. I think the are real winners. Awesome tone from the piezo pickup.