Why become a member? ×

EEK. It's my debut on backing at practice today...

Sarah5string

Well THIS should be interesting.... it's only one song but I've been practicing all week getting used to singing and playing at the same time and still can't do one of the bass fills AND sing at that exact moment...
and did I mention that I can't sing? :)
Wish me luck!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='243647' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:35 AM']LOL I had a go a couple of weeks ago and know what you mean.

I was more conscious of the band listening ( it was the quiet bit in Wishing Well, "love and a peaceful world" ) than I ever would be with an audience !!

Hope it goes well

Tony[/quote]
LOL that's exactly it.... I know what they're like for piss taking!!!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='243641' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:28 AM']and did I mention that I can't sing? :)
Wish me luck![/quote]

Ney,ney and thrice ney.

You CAN sing - it's just that you DON'T sing.
Like anything else you'll improve with practise , so sing lots.

Then you won't need anyone to wish you luck , as you'll have the skills , though I do wish you luck anyway.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='243667' date='Jul 20 2008, 10:01 AM']Ney,ney and thrice ney.

You CAN sing - it's just that you DON'T sing.
Like anything else you'll improve with practise , so sing lots.

Then you won't need anyone to wish you luck , as you'll have the skills , though I do wish you luck anyway.[/quote]
Thanks doc :)

Hey Sarah I've known some "singers" that can't sing for toffee without having to play an instrument at the same time!!! :huh:
What you could do is just loosen you mic cable a tad so it doesn't quite make contact and just mime. And if the guys say we couldn't hear you, say it was probably the mix was too loud and it's drwoning you voice out!!!! :) :huh: Good luck you'll be fine!!

Go for it Sarah!

Tuesday was my second attempt at BVs - once I relised I wasn't going to be struck by lightning for not sounding great I got more confident, sang harder and sounded better. I reckon at least 50% of it is doing it with confidence.

Give it some welly-it will sound far better if you give it b*ll*cks than if you're all weedy about it. Practice in the car where you can give it some without the worry of being overheard. Half the battle with singing is about confidence-I know you're all nervous about it, but it really isn't that big a deal, especially not on backing vocals where you can get away with a multitude of sins. You'll be fine-it's just a case of getting used to it-our guitarist is having the same troubles at the moment-it'll soon come to you.

About 200 years ago I saw a TV thing about a woman in a band singing for the first time and the line that stuck with me was
"Go on, show them what you can do"

We Brits are usually too shy and retiring for our own good. Your average American would be full of "look at me" bravado and just go for it. Now and then we have to do that too. This is one of those situations ...

I didn't used to sing at all. My voice was weak. Then I discovered that my [i]real[/i] singing voice was not the one I'd been using. Rather than the thin and wispy mouse like vocals I was doing I tried my full on, loud, dark brown baritone, reminiscent of Scott Walker and previously reserved for silly "sing like an opera singer" days at home .. it sounds so much better and "like I mean it" that that is how I sing now.

Sarah, you just have to find your strong voice, fake it 'til you make it and ignore the jibes ... if you are the only woman in the band your female voice will be a great addition to the sound. The singer's probably afraid you find that out and steal the limelight ...

[quote name='clauster' post='243675' date='Jul 20 2008, 10:33 AM']....once I relised I wasn't going to be struck by lightning for not sounding great I got more confident, sang harder and sounded better. I reckon at least 50% of it is doing it with confidence.[/quote]

Clauster speaks the truth. I've been doing it since January in our band and now feel a bit better about it. Unfortunately I have to do a lot of "up a 5th" harmonies so end up singing really high. It can get embarrassing and doesn't appear to impress the girls like a Barry White kind of voice would. Mrs HH laughs at me anyway!

Thanks guys.. just got back... wasn't too bad but find it hard to hear if I'm in tune or not until it's too late! Obviously on stage I'll have a monitor but any tips for being able to hear myself ok? Other than that it was ok, needs work but I didn't A)die B)get the piss taken out of me or C) get sacked so I'll class that as a small victory! lol! Even the guitarist who never ever pays a compliment to anyone said that it actually didn't sound too bad.. so yea... can't wait for next week :)

Glad it went well too!

It's all about practice and getting to know your voice. You really need to be careful and warm up properly, your vocal folds are very delicate. Don't shout and scream, do lots of research on the www about singing and adopt a good technique. I really can't play bass and sing at the same time, even though guitar and singing is never a real problem for me.

Keep at it and sing in the shower, car, etc. Humming is really beneficial too if you need to be quieter.

Good on you!

Hey great!
Well that's over with, now it gets better and easier ..

As I mentioned before, pop one earplug in just for that one number. Two ear plugs are better all round and for protecting your hearing in the long term.

Also, playing with monitors takes some practice, actually it's more about getting your monitor sound right that takes the work. If possible try to use monitors in the rehearsal studio for a few times before the gig so you can work out how to ask for the changes you need .. For example hearing yourself is sometimes more about changing the eq on your voice than the volume level and you should have the monitor's overall volume as low as possible but still clearly audible. You see what I mean about it being something to practice? :)

So ... when you play your first gig with monitors have a chat with the sound person before the sound check, give him a big smile, and a pint, and ask if he would mind helping you get the best sound in the monitor as it's your first time. If he's any good he will. Then get your band to indulge you a little too and spend a few moments making sure you can hear yourself. Sound check the bit you are singing to get as close as you can to how it will be in the gig.

You need to make sure the monitor is positioned so that when you look at it you look straight down a line coming straight out of the centre of the cone.

All of this is worth the effort as monitors are your lifeline with singing, especially when you start. You have to hear your voice and the lead vocals so you can tune your voice to the lead line.

You'll be fine :huh:
OG

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='244152' date='Jul 20 2008, 11:34 PM']You know.. you've got a point... I grunted, screamed and growled for britain both times... wish someone would've recorded it! LOL[/quote]

Sorry, just clarifying - You talking about the conception or delivery? :)

[quote name='Wooks' post='244262' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:41 AM']Probably a bit of both :huh: :huh:[/quote]
Well delivery really.. I don't remember the conception! :)

In other news I found my 'loud' voice in the car today... was under the seats nestled in some discarded tesco receipts :huh: