Why become a member? ×

SOLD - WAL Pro 2E - SOLD

WalMan

Right chaps, a heads up for anyone who might be looking for a Wal, but please note [u][b][size=6]IT IS NOT MINE[/size][/b][/u].

I went into GAK and was gobsmacked to find a Pro 2E 4 string (no case) hanging on the wall with a price tag of £1,199.

Going by the serial number it is from around 1983ish being about 100 younger than mine.

Not sure of the woods, but it is a sort of green burst - that is green at the edges fading to natural wood at the centre. Similar to this, but a plainer bit of wood and green at the edges, not brown.

AGAIN [b][u][size=6]IT IS NOT THIS BASS!![/size][/u][/b] which is mine.

The tone controls are on the body, rather than a plate like mine above (which was added when Pete installed the custom electrics on mine in '96).

Condition wise it has a few dings, the largest a bit smaller than a 10p piece, but just through the lacquer without denting the body. The rest are really just lacquer cracks, which is pretty understandable for a bass this age. As I recall they are on the back.

I had a play on it and it plays really well and sounds nice, with the usual range of tone through the Wal controls - which for those who don't know are volume, pup pan pot and two sweepable tone pots one for each pup. The tone pots have pull switches that engage a narrower band width for the roll off, and the volume control has a pull switch the gives what Wal call "pick attack" (basically a treble boost)

Based on Wals being rarer than rocking horse sh1t and the quick play I had it seems a good price and well worth a look if you have been looking for a Wal, but don't hang about, because I don't suppose it will stay there long.

I would really have liked to go for this (so I could become a WalNut) but got a really frosty reception from Mrs W when I got home & mentioned it, and am plum out of cunning plans at the mo. Also what I really want is a Wal 5.

I can give no more info, or guarantee about the bass. It is not mine, but up for sale in a shop, but the guys in the GAK bass section are a great deal better than your average shop wallah and I have no reason to doubt the bass authenticity.

If you're interested give GAK a call. Don't PM me it's nowt to do with me, but I know members regularly come on here desperate to find Wal's so I thought I would give you the heads up now I have decided I really shouldn't - I [b][i]know[/i][/b] I shall regret it, but.........

Mods, if you want to move this elsewhere as it is a shop, not a member sale feel free

Edited by WalMan

:)

The temptation to go there NOW is almost overwhelming.. And I've already got a Wal!!!

By the way Al, from the sound of it and your description, this makes it a Wal Custom really, not a Pro 2e. And £1200 is a very good price for a Wal Custom by the way.... Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='Heartbreaker' post='243952' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:55 PM']Thanks for the info, top man. Been looking for a nice Wal for quite a long time so went & had a good play on it today, its now mine, thanks again. Inside the back plate it's dated 1982 & sighned by 'Fish' (Pete Stevens). One happy Wal'er.[/quote]

Got any pics yet then?

[quote name='Heartbreaker' post='243952' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:55 PM']Thanks for the info, top man. Been looking for a nice Wal for quite a long time so went & had a good play on it today, its now mine, thanks again. Inside the back plate it's dated 1982 & sighned by 'Fish' (Pete Stevens). One happy Wal'er.[/quote]
Congratulations!

It must be a transition model?? If it's got the Pro2e body & headstock but has the Custom electronics, then it might turn out to be a very interesting find!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='243963' date='Jul 20 2008, 10:21 AM']Congratulations!

It must be a transition model?? If it's got the Pro2e body & headstock but has the Custom electronics, then it might turn out to be a very interesting find!![/quote]

Yes, congratulations are in order! I'd also like to see some photos.

[quote name='mgauction' post='243965' date='Jul 20 2008, 06:33 PM']I'd also like to see some photos.[/quote]

+1

Hi Mike,

How's things - hope all's well with you?

Good to see we've still got a bit of interesting Wal action occuring on this side of the pond! It was only down the road from me so I was very, very tempted to go and have a look today.

Seems to be some very good news coming through the Wal forum about the future of the Wal brand which has got to be good news for everyone, especially Pete... :)

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='243998' date='Jul 20 2008, 11:34 AM']+1

Hi Mike,

How's things - hope all's well with you?

Good to see we've still got a bit of interesting Wal action occuring on this side of the pond! It was only down the road from me so I was very, very tempted to go and have a look today.

Seems to be some very good news coming through the Wal forum about the future of the Wal brand which has got to be good news for everyone, especially Pete... :)

Nik[/quote]

All's good here, Nik! Thanks. I trust the same for you. Yes, what a lovely and different Wal. Can't say I didn't think about it myself. If it wasn't for good ole Chris Franklin, we'd all be thinking doomsday about Wal. And it looks like I may be toward the head of the pack for a new one, accoring to Chris! Any idea where Chris F. & Trevor are posting now?

No probs and congrats. You saved me from certain death of a million cuts from Mrs W.

It did play really beautifully and I think you will agree that other than the one major dink to the lacquer it was in pretty good nick for a bass that's 26 years old

I expected there to be the usual but of masking tape with the details under the control plate. Pete did the same when he converted mine. PB1794 compared to my PB1680 so perhaps mine is a shade older than the '82 I thought.

Better get it submitted to the [url="http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]Wal Database[/url] and may you have as many happy years with yours as I have had with mine :)

[EDIT] BTW anything on the woods in the control cavity note?

Just noticed when you joined BC. How lucky was that!!! [EDIT - Senior Moment] what the hell am I talking about 2007 NOT 2008 :huh:

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='243717' date='Jul 20 2008, 11:45 AM']:)

The temptation to go there NOW is almost overwhelming.. And I've already got a Wal!!!

By the way Al, from the sound of it and your description, this makes it a Wal Custom really, not a Pro 2e. And £1200 is a very good price for a Wal Custom by the way....[/quote]
I almost PM'd you first Nik, but I have dropped you in it too much recently and to have it that nearby would break my heart :huh:

Wasn't sure of the true style. They had it up as Pro2E, which I think was from the bloke who traded it (!!!???) who I believe may have had it from new. If Custom has a belly contour & Pro's have a flat body / no contours, then it was more likely a Custom. It had the smaller headstock like my Pro with the twin string retainer for the A & D strings (again like mine originally), rather than the 4 string retainer that Pete replaced it with when he converted mine

I was -|[sup][size=1]this[/size][/sup]|- close to hammering a card yesterday, it really did play so beautifully

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='mgauction' post='244023' date='Jul 20 2008, 08:10 PM']All's good here, Nik! Thanks. I trust the same for you. Yes, what a lovely and different Wal. Can't say I didn't think about it myself. If it wasn't for good ole Chris Franklin, we'd all be thinking doomsday about Wal. And it looks like I may be toward the head of the pack for a new one, accoring to Chris! Any idea where Chris F. & Trevor are posting now?[/quote]
Glad to hear it Mike! Not sure about Chris & Trev, though Trev is on Facebook these days... To be honest, I hadn't notcied that they weren't on the Wal forum any more? Are you on Facebook yet; I am but I really don't like or use it much...

Nik

[quote name='WalMan' post='244093' date='Jul 20 2008, 10:22 PM']I almost PM'd you first Nik, but I have dropped you in it too much recently and to have it that nearby would break my heart :)

Wasn't sure of the true style. They had it up as Pro2E, which I think was from the bloke who traded it (!!!???) who I believe may have had it from new. If Custom has a belly contour & Pro's have a flat body / no contours, then it was more likely a Custom. It had the smaller headstock like my Pro with the twin string retainer for the A & D strings (again like mine originally), rather than the 4 string retainer that Pete replaced it with when he converted mine

I was -|[sup][size=1]this[/size][/sup]|- close to hammering a card yesterday, it really did play so beautifully[/quote]
Sounds like it's a Custom from that description.. Unusual colour though. Funnily enough, my Pro2e that I bought from Gwilym in 2005, was found by Gwil in GAK in exactly the same manner as this one??

I think even you with a cunning plan to hatch yet more cunning plans on a cunning day in cunning town, would have found it difficult to get that one through the door at WalMan Towers, Al! :huh:

Next time something like this happens, which of course it won't now, let's go halves on the bass (and halves on the pain!)...

Mike: I'll look for you on facebook in a minute...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='243957' date='Jul 20 2008, 06:12 PM']pics??? i think it was the colour that stopped me from ringing gak and gettin them to hold this for me, so id be interested to see if id like it after all[/quote]
Don't torture yourself!!! I have been since I posted it and it went faster than a fast thing going extremely fast. What the hell was I thinking!!!

• 3 months later...