Why become a member? ×

Semi hollows that aren't made for Gibson/Epiphone...any thoughts on best value for money?

Kiwi

I've been monitoring prices on Ibanez Artcores - narrowly missed out on a stunning Metheny model at a bargain price a couple of months ago. But AS73/AS93 look pretty good and the maple veneer on the AS93 is pretty nice.

Would prefer japanese/taiwanese/chinese made but with good finishing. Yamaha are pretty good at high standards so have been keeping an eye on Yamaha SA500s (although anything other than the SA500 seems expensive considering the construction is so similar to the Artcores)

Also offerings by Hamer, Washburn and Aria (although the horns look odd on those).

Target price is sub £220.

Are there any other offerings worth looking at?

I've been looking at very much the same thing, and I think at your price point you're going to struggle unless it's a second hand bargain.

Currently I'm very taken by the offerings from [url=http://www.peerlessguitars.eu/#/electric/4549480806]Peerless[/url].

I've seen some good things said about peerless but its more than I want to pay for an instrument to mess around on. If the guitar has a laminated arched top and an unwarped, mahogany neck I'll be happy enough. Brand is less important. I was was looking at Tanglewoods as well but they're an unknown quantity. I've tried the artcores and they're exactly what I'm looking for...I'm happy to wait for an example in my price range because I've seen them come and go already. I'm open minded to alternatives though.

The Italia models are a bit different

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/italia-fiorano-standard-semi-acoustic-snbrst/84600"]http://www.gak.co.uk...ic-snbrst/84600[/url]

You should be able to pick something up on ebay within your budget

Edited by simon1964

For a new guitar, I think you'd be hard pressed to find better value for money than these...

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/wno6302ts.html"]Douglas (Rondo...)...[/url]

I have a Xavière take on a Thinline Tele (not exactly Rondo, but same spec...) and a Douglas 6-string fretless bass. Both are excellent, and very well built. The prices shown are $, of course, but should be near enough in £ once freighting is counted in. Not the same league, of course, as a Hofner Vice President, but not the same price bracket, either. I'm more than satisfied with mine, anyway.

Which Artcores have you been looking at? The current Terrortones guitarist has been using one and although it looks at sounds the part the faux Bigsby vibrato system has been giving him a lot of tuning problems and he's discovered that there is insufficient break angle over the bridge to hold it securely in place when he plays with any kind of aggression.

if you can find a mid/late 90's tanglewood chicago (cs range) then that might suit, they were much better built back then and should fit easily into your price bracket, i've got a cs-2 (i think) and it's a lovely guitar, very nicely made and sounds fantastic, i paid 220 for it about 4 years ago. the new ones are a totally different breed, the quality is not as high, i think that they retailed at about 400 quid back in the 90's (i have a hazy recollection of a cranes advert in about 98 that had them all listed).

i have memories of a memphis single cutaway model as well.

Matt

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1402317933' post='2472003']
Which Artcores have you been looking at? The current Terrortones guitarist has been using one and although it looks at sounds the part the faux Bigsby vibrato system has been giving him a lot of tuning problems and he's discovered that there is insufficient break angle over the bridge to hold it securely in place when he plays with any kind of aggression.
[/quote]
I've tried fixed tail Artcores - mainly AS and AF. All my other guitars have whammys on them and I have no need for another guitar with one for funky James Brown skanking. My Yammie MSG is pretty close but I'm looking for something mellower.

The Ibanez George Benson model was seriously nice but outside my price bracket.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1402323353' post='2472120']
if you can find a mid/late 90's tanglewood chicago
[/quote]
Thanks for that, I'll give them a look!