Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using a powered PA sub as an extension cab

Les

My trusty Mag 300 2 x10 combo holds it's own in the band as a monitor cos' we put everything through the PA and all is well in the world.

We're going back to Styal beer festival this year. Like last year when we played there is a big PA and all we have to do is provide back line and drums. For this gig only my Ashdown struggled, I could hear it but the rest of the band couldn't, big stage, much more spread out than usual.

Was thinking of chucking another cab in but then I realised all our gear will be there in the trailer including our 2 powered Peavy 15 inch PA subs.

Can I use one (or even both) of these for some more reinforcement and if so how would I connect them ? I realise I cant use the other speaker output on the Ashdown.

Les

If there's a big pa system then you'd be much better off asking the sound person to put your bass into the monitor mix. It'll sound very messy with a sub as you'll just be increasing the volume of your low end. Cut your bass and boost your mids on your backline amp to cut through more and then let the sound engineer put you into the monitors.

Bad idea. You do not want a lot of sub bass on stage.
If the P.A and stage is well spec'd you should have a mon mix engr on stage
but your first duty should be to contact the P.A company, ask them about the P.A spec
and how many mixes you can get... Any decent P.A will start at 4...and if they can't offer that
then...?? hmmmmm..
and then draft your stage rider around that.

The soundman is not going to love you if you turn up with a sub..
You want the band to hear the bass on stage, not feel it

If the PA has bass through it then consider putting the bass amp side stage to point across stage .
On big set up's they will often have a fake amp wall and the bands real amps are on the side of the stage on a crate so it is cutting across stage mic'ed up and to the side of heads.
Firing it out front of house is little use if the PA has bass through, try it side on, wont look as good but everyone will hear it.
Unless we are talking 15K plus rig the monitor set up might not be good enough for bass to be put through.

Years ago I owned a large Touring rig and we did some very big acts, onevery famous 12 bar rock blues band had fake Marshall amp wall''s and a fender combo and vox ac 30 side of stage did the real work, rest went through monitors.
The fake amp wall was brilliant, all folded flat on to one pallet, looked real and lit up with fake cables and the lot, even the amp heads were just fake fronts .