Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz shuttle 6.2 plus ToneHammer best of both worlds

tonyclaret

Hi.

Last night I finally had chance to try my ToneHammer pedal in a gig situation.

Wow, this thing just added so much girth to my tone, especially in the bottom end.

Really liked it.

However, I felt it did lack some articulation and zing every now and again.

Perhaps I need to spend more time with it, to dial in.

I started to think, what about if I could have the best of both worlds and control the mix of ToneHammer and direct signals to the amp. Then I could blend in as I seek fit on the fly.

Thoughts? Anybody do anything similar?

Cheers
Tony

I have the GB shuttle 6.(not the 6.2) the TH500 and the ToneHammer pedal, normally I use the TH pedal mainly for recording the Shuttle 6 and TH500 for live (I play in 2 different bands).. I don't find any of them lacking tbh.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1401529145' post='2464434']
I have the GB shuttle 6.(not the 6.2) the TH500 and the ToneHammer pedal, normally I use the TH pedal mainly for recording the Shuttle 6 and TH500 for live (I play in 2 different bands).. I don't find any of them lacking tbh.
[/quote]

2 different bands with two different sound needs then?

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1401653602' post='2465608']
2 different bands with two different sound needs then?
[/quote]

Kind of and also the fact that for some reason I like to pair my heads and cabs up with the same maker.
I think each set-up is slightly different tonally but both could and do do the job for me. The only consistency is that they go through 12's.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1401884040' post='2467796']
What about a Boss LS-2? Then you can run the clean signal and blend in the Tone Hammer alongside it.
[/quote]

That was where my thinking was going! I only sold one last year gr....

Yes, may be worth trying it out.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I use my Genz Benz Streamliner 900 when I want slightly overdriven tone just by adjusting the gain and preamp volume so the amp stays clean when played with modest attack, and breaks up nicely when digging in. No pedals or compressors needed; the tone compared to my old ShuttleMax is much rounder and cushier...

I sometimes run the TH pedal into the return of my Tecamp Puma head in order to get a more vintage type sound.
Indeed, compared to the Puma preamp, the sound has much more push in the low mids, and in some rooms,
loses definition. You can partly solve this by playing around with the parametric mids of the TH pedal.

I don't think you can mix the signature Aguilar sound with anything else and get a good result, because
if you add back the treble spectrum, you will lose the warmth again...

Edited by xroads

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1402988724' post='2478479']
I sometimes run the TH pedal into the return of my Tecamp Puma head in order to get a more vintage type sound.
Indeed, compared to the Puma preamp, the sound has much more push in the low mids, and in some rooms,
loses definition. You can partly solve this by playing around with the parametric mids of the TH pedal.

I don't think you can mix the signature Aguilar sound with anything else and get a good result, because
if you add back the treble spectrum, you will lose the warmth again...
[/quote]

Wise words. Just bought the th350 and giving that test drive. See if I can live with the Aguilar sound completely. If not I'll revert to the flexibility of the pedal.

Edited by tonyclaret