Why become a member? ×

Customs Charges

Mexicola

Whenever I got mine I think I paid around £30/£40 in customs

Be certain you want one, they're a very specific sound and I found that it was a complete failure for my tone, if you want sharp, harsh and throaty, do it, also, maybe be prepared to have to change the EQ settings on your amp to match the pedal, I personally found it a complete pain.

You'll pay anything up to about 30% of the full product price plus shipping cost. You are paying customs charges and VAT

The following link might be useful for you.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

Thanks guys. £30/40 would work out at about 30% so that makes sense.

Chris, I know what youre saying man but Ive wanted one for so long now that I dont think the GAS will subside until ive tried one. What are you using now instead? I need a grindy preamp to replace my B3K so im really looking at either a Rusty Box or a VT Bass I think.

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1400182803' post='2451637']
Thanks guys. £30/40 would work out at about 30% so that makes sense.

Chris, I know what youre saying man but Ive wanted one for so long now that I dont think the GAS will subside until ive tried one. What are you using now instead? I need a grindy preamp to replace my B3K so im really looking at either a Rusty Box or a VT Bass I think.
[/quote]

I know that feeling dude! I just love low end and thickness, to fill up the band, hence why I didn't like the Rusty Box but if you want a grindy preamp, this'll be your dream come true, it's grind for days. I'm actually using a SolidGold FX Beta for a bit of pre-distortion dirt, then into a Fuzzrocious Rat King for full blown!

I've actually heard every say that the Rusty Box is such a great replica of the TS50-B, that it works better just running it straight into your power amp!

It's already been said, but I would expect £30/40.

I've also lusted after a Rusty Box and not pulled the trigger because of cost (the extra power supply put me off too!) Like Chris though, my love of low end has put me off, got a few friends with them and they sound awesome but not for me.

I currently have a BDPG and it really brings out something else in dirt pedals, mine is currently off my board as I don't like what it does to the Rat Tail so much, but it made my Aguilar Agro sound like a complete beast! What other pedals do you run?

Yeah the extra power supply is definitely off-putting. Everyone complains about the lack of bass with the rusty box but I think it sounds amazing in the right context. Then again, I want an always on grit and I dont know if it really fits the type of music I play.

Im currently running Polytune > B3K > ODB-3 > Way Huge Swollen Pickle > TRex Squeezer. Im selling the B3K though to fund an always on preamp/dirt of some sort.

I don't think the Rusty Box necessarily lacks bass, I meant more that it has that emphasis on upper mid grittiness. You're right though, perhaps that can all be changed with the EQ, I've not had the hands on. It really seems to do that one thing really well though.

A friend of mine uses one with his band (mostly as a boost but the heads he runs have that same kind of tone) and it really does sound awesome, so maybe your band would suit that too! I was pretty wiped out last night, a better question would have been what kind of music do you play, not what effects you use :facepalm:

[quote name='Hank Scorpio' timestamp='1400222229' post='24519]
If it'd be always on, surely you could just EQ in more bass? Bob Weston was using an RB last time I saw Shellac, and he wasn't hurting for low end.

Last few times I've imported pedals for that sort of amount, I've paid £20-£35, from memory.
[/quote]

Yeah man, thats what I was thinking. I wouldnt resent paying for an LS2 or something similar to blend in a dry tone if the rusty box needed more low end. You cant beat the Shellac, Jesus Lizard, NoMeansNo kind of tone.

[quote name='plunkrock' timestamp='1400226488' post='2451936']
I don't think the Rusty Box necessarily lacks bass, I meant more that it has that emphasis on upper mid grittiness. You're right though, perhaps that can all be changed with the EQ, I've not had the hands on. It really seems to do that one thing really well though.

A friend of mine uses one with his band (mostly as a boost but the heads he runs have that same kind of tone) and it really does sound awesome, so maybe your band would suit that too! I was pretty wiped out last night, a better question would have been what kind of music do you play, not what effects you use :facepalm:
[/quote]

Thanks man, Crusades have broken up but we're currently working on something in a similar vein. I see youre from Dundee. Have you heard Fat Goth? Pretty sure their bassist uses a Rusty Box and his tone is quality.

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1400235622' post='2452073']Thanks man, Crusades have broken up but we're currently working on something in a similar vein. I see youre from Dundee. Have you heard Fat Goth? Pretty sure their bassist uses a Rusty Box and his tone is quality.
[/quote]

It was Fat Goth I was had in mind, great tones and suits it so well! :)

Edited by plunkrock

Not a pre pedal per se, but I'd definitely have a gleg at the COG Knightfall 66 if I was you. Been through B3K, SFT and BDPG myself and this is the best always on "grind" pedal I've ever had, gets really trebley/grindy but never harsh. Plus you get another channel which you can use for high gain.

It also happens to sound awesome after ALL other dirt pedals, just gives them an extra something special. It might even make your ODB3 sound good! ;-)...

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1400240232' post='2452141']
Sounds promising! Is the 66 the same as the stock Knightfall or is that a custom variation?
[/quote]

Custom variation. It has five selectable clipping options for each channel, plus I had him give my second channel stupid amounts of gain. You should give him a shout though, he could probably make you a spot-on clone of the Rusty Box with extras if that's what you wanted!...

I think you'd be paying 22.7% of the total cost (ie. price plus shipping) as it should be 2.7% duty and 20% VAT.

[url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-lookup/137477/hs-tariff-code-for-electronics/"]http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-lookup/137477/hs-tariff-code-for-electronics/[/url]