Why become a member? ×

Gone thanks
£700

karlfer

I agree re sound. I am curious about your bass so I went on YT. I could only find two demos. One guy had amazing tone. The other rubbish. I am actually looking to replicate the mid range of an old early 70s Musicmaster I bought when I was a kid but with more punch and obviously with a longer scale neck. I have a number of different basses which I may sell soon but nothing I have at least has that vintage sound.

[quote name='david1711' timestamp='1402349171' post='2472594']
I agree re sound. I am curious about your bass so I went on YT. I could only find two demos. One guy had amazing tone. The other rubbish. I am actually looking to replicate the mid range of an old early 70s Musicmaster I bought when I was a kid but with more punch and obviously with a longer scale neck. I have a number of different basses which I may sell soon but nothing I have at least has that vintage sound.
[/quote]

This is one of the reasons everything is so subjective. Your early 70's Musicmaster would have been at a stage where the pups, neck, pots, strings etc were all worn in to some extent. Add to that the amp, cab that you used them with would have been at there own wearing in stage. Your technique may very well have changed dramatically since those early days. To go back to that moment in time and replicate everything as YOU REMEMBER it is going to be very difficult.
People think I'm being a dick when I say I'm not prepared to spend money on recording gear, and learn how to do sound clips. Fair enough.
I only play live. My basses sound like me live. Or the inflections I put on it. Anybody else uses my gear (VERY rare, I'm psychotic about looking after it) they don't sound like me, they sound like them.
There are so many variables. For example, people buy a Chris Squires Rick to sound like him. They won't without his type of double amplification, effects units but most importantly his technique.
To me, you decide what kind of bass should make the kind of sound you are after, then take it from there.
My basses can all do passable JPJ, Steve Harris, Chris Squires impersonations. Passable, not perfect. Good enough for all the gigs I do.
Sadly, I'm a magpie gear whore fully egged on by the for sale section here. Truth be told, the bass I gigged with for twenty plus year before Basschat should never have been sold to Gunsfreddy!
Good luck in your search.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1402384147' post='2472741']
I'm a magpie gear whore
[/quote]

Love that quote, headstone worthy...

To the people asking for tone comparisons/soundlips etc. These basses are brilliant, a friend of mine had a stunning trans orange one in the mid 2000s. As P as it gets if you need it to be, with all the versatility of the jazz pickup thrown in. He dropped loads of cash on some EMGs for it, ended up going back to the original pickups after a week.

Karls a seasoned veteran on here, this will be a steal for someone without any doubt.

[quote name='david1711' timestamp='1402349171' post='2472594']
[/quote]

I'd wager this with flats would get pretty close.

Thanks Tom.
Yup, been messed around quite a bit on here of late, and not just with people buying this bass and then bottling out!
It happens I guess, but two selling and one buying cancellation in two weeks is frustrating.
Annnndddd breathe.......

The irony is Andy, the last no show, the one who's wife said he couldn't have it, mentioned it to his mate in the pub on Sunday night.
Now his mate is the new owner :lol: . The same new owner that had contemplated the Hot Rod for sale in Glasgow at £1100.
The new owner texted me last night and he loves it, so, all's well....................

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1402474018' post='2473783']
The irony is Andy, the last no show, the one who's wife said he couldn't have it, mentioned it to his mate in the pub on Sunday night.
Now his mate is the new owner :lol: . The same new owner that had contemplated the Hot Rod for sale in Glasgow at £1100.
The new owner texted me last night and he loves it, so, all's well....................
[/quote]

that's hilarious and serendipitous, happy sale matey! need pics of your new CS now too of course :)