Why become a member? ×

32" scale 5/6 strings

Dazed

I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of buying a 32" scale 5 or 6 string. Ill try and explain.

I have several 35" 5ers and I find them comfortable, but can be a bit of a stretch if playing down at the pointy end heavily.
I've recently found 2 32" scale basses I quite like the look of.
Ones a 6 and the other a 5. I'm wondering what the low b is like on the shorter scale and having trouble finding that size in a localish shop just to see how it feels etc.
The 2 I like are in Europe so it's not likely I'm gonna be able to try either before buying....

Opinions invited please folks

I've played a few 33" 5's and they've felt really nice and sounded great. I think if you buy a well mad instrument then you don't have to be as concernd about scale lengths.

I rehearsed win a 32" scale bass tonight (only a 4 string though) and I really didn't notice any huge tonal difference between it and my regular 33.3" scale gigging bass or one of my standard 34" ones :)

I've got a few 33" basses and have owned several others, 4, 5 and 6 string flavours and I've never found the low B to be lacking whatsoever. I moved to 33" for very similar reasons and would recommend trying a shorter scale length to anyone!

32", might be pushing it a little depending on who has made it, but a good luthier can make it work, and it'll be even better if you play with a lighter touch.
Who is the maker in question?

ACG recently built a 32" 6 string Harlot (MkII) ( http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0152-harlot-mkii-6-short-scale/ ) and the low B on that was just right, it wouldn't stand any death metal chugalug style playing, but for finger style and a bit of slap, it's great. An incredibly comfortable instrument, and its available too ;) It'd be mine if I had funds available and didn't already have an ACG 6er...

Eude

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1400079101' post='2450528']
Apropos of absolutely nothing I've utterly convinced myself that I "need" a 33" (or 32" bass). Oh dear. This is how GAS strikes, isn't it? :unsure:
[/quote]

It has begun...

On a serious note, you should definitely give it a go :)

32" scale is fine as long as you play softly. I have a 34" JB tuned in BEAD with 110-50 strings so a 32" with a regular set of 5 strings should work.

The only 32" 5 stringers that I know are made by Adamovic. Not the UK but you should definitely have a look at them, they're amazing basses.

Thanks for all the replies folks.
I've since been looking at Shep's blog/site and was really impressed with his 32" custom roscoe.
Still mulling it over.

Oh it's a prometeus bass by the way. Italian luthier

Here's a little pic.... Excuse the rug!

[URL=http://s.photobucket.com/user/dazer/media/BASS/4ACD6892-A040-4364-A0ED-91C63D13E6C7_zps2i7seitg.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/dazer/BASS/4ACD6892-A040-4364-A0ED-91C63D13E6C7_zps2i7seitg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Take a regular 5-string or 6-string, 34-inch scale bass. Lower the tuning one-half step from conventional to Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb. Then capo the 1st fret. Then you will see how the bass will feel, sound and react on the strings at the shorter 32-inch scale. I didn't like it: too floppy and indistinct. Going up in gauge of string to compensate only made the B string thump worse. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1401546356' post='2464617']
Take a regular 5-string or 6-string, 34-inch scale bass. Lower the tuning one-half step from conventional to Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb. Then capo the 1st fret. Then you will see how the bass will feel, sound and react on the strings at the shorter 32-inch scale. I didn't like it: too floppy and indistinct. Going up in gauge of string to compensate only made the B string thump worse. YMMV
[/quote]

I'm with you. I had a 33-inch scale ACG 5-string and felt that the B was too floppy.

I've now got a 34-inch scale ACG 5-string and it's fine.

A lot depends on how you play as to wither it will work for you. If you have a heavy right hand then the increased tension of the longer scale or a shorter scale with heavier strings is probably going to suit. I have a less than gentle right hand but play a 33" with a 130 B and i find it perfectly fine. A lot also comes down to the feel of the strings a stiffer string will feel it has higher tension on a short scale and that makes a lot of difference in how the bass feels to you. It needs a bit of experimenting. For what it is worth I use DR Sunbeams on my own 6 fretless.

I have to find my capo and try it on one of the 35"s.
I generally prefer a light gauge like 30-90 on 4 strings so that might end up ultra floppy on a shorter scale.

Then again maybe I'm looking to fix a problem that doesn't really exist and it's all in my head, then GAS gets a hold and convinces me there really is an issue that needs to be resolved.